University of Rochester Web Programmer & Systems Administrator in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 053 Simon Grad Sch Operations
Under general direction and with latitude for independent judgment and initiative, the Web Programmer & Systems Administrator will be directly responsible for web and application development within Simon Technology Services and extending across the entire Simon Business School; ensuring high-performance and availability for Web sites and applications. Responsibilities also include technical aspects related to the underlying infrastructure of Simon’s Web Services, and will work closely with the University IT; server infrastructure and services. This position requires a combination of programming skills (PHP, HTML, CSS, JS, etc.) and aesthetics (understanding element arrangements on the screen, the color and font choices, and so on). In addition, an understanding of the entire web development process, including design, development and deployment, with some back-end knowledge, is preferred.
Development of External and Internal Web-Based Solutions
Application development and web design.
Participate in strategy discussions related to functionality and implementation.
Contribute to the analysis and design process by identifying customers’ needs and translating those needs into rules that will be enforced by the software application.
Application integration with third-party applications utilizing API access.
After an application has been built/tested, provide support the end-users. Receive feedback from end users about bugs and/or new features. Develop code/web-parts necessary to fix problems with the application and create new components required to add new functionality.
Maintain code base using code repository service(s).
Provide support to back-end and webmaster roles.
Monitor ticketing system queues for support request.
Maintain Server Application Environment for Application Stability/Functionality
Research and implement Drupal application and module security patches.
Participate in system upgrades and other support activities as needed.
Server and application documentation.
Collaboration and Professional Development
Maintain mastery of current versions and updates of existing software; maintain in-depth knowledge of programs in assigned areas of expertise.
Continue to extend skill in job area through reading, seminars, courses, conferences, and participation in online bulletin boards and discussion lists.
Maintain current awareness of the University’s web systems, key players, and endeavors related to the web strategy. Watch for opportunities to collaborate on systems, tools, and technology.
Attend and actively participate in University meetings related to web presence, programming, and development.
Bachelor’s degree in related discipline such as Computer Science or Information Technology, plus 2-3 years related experience.
Proven experience researching, recommending and/or developing Web solutions using a variety of open-source applications and programming languages. Experience providing solutions that enhance the user experience and simplify processes for non-technical internal resources. Proven functional knowledge of front-end languages for a seamless work environment with front-end developers. Excellent communication skills are required for gathering site/application needs and for the training of non-technical internal resources. Experience working with a variety of server operating systems and database environments.
- Experience developing and managing responsive design websites.
- Experience with CSS frameworks like Foundation and Bootstrap.
- Experience with TWIG or other template engine.
- Ability to make content location recommendations.
- Knowledge of analytical applications such as Google Analytics and Tag Manager.
- An understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (e.g. Requirements, Design, Development, Testing) and exposure to Agile or iterative SDLCs.
- Experience programming in Java and Python.
- Extensive knowledge of relational database systems, including experience developing complex queries using MySQL and MSSQL.
- Experience administering MySQL and MSSQL databases.
- Experience working with data integration software (such as Dell Boomi) for centralization of application data.
- Ability to complete detailed documentation.
- Knowledge of social media, current and emerging.
- Fluent with HTML5/XHTML and CSS3, and designing and developing responsive design websites
- Ability to convert comprehensive layout and wireframes into working HTML pages
- Experience integrating open source and third-party applications into existing systems.
- Experience developing web solutions in PHP in a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP/Python) environment.
- Experience with Unix/Linux as well as Windows server environments.
- Experience developing applications utilizing third-party applications and social media application programming interfaces (API).
- Experience deploying large Web-based applications.
- Comfortable working with debugging tools like Firebug, Chrome inspector, etc.
- Familiarity with Apache & MySQL.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Web Programmer & Systems Administrator
Location: Simon Grad School Business
Job ID: 209657
Full/Part Time: Full-Time