University of Rochester Trauma Registrar in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 052 Trauma Program
Responsible for overall functioning of the trauma registry, including the coordination of reliable data retrieval and collection, case review, data entry and download to other database applications, data cleaning and presentation of data both internally and externally. Responsibilities include data abstraction, analysis, and interpretation as well as advanced computing/ database administration.
- Accurately identify all pediatric and trauma admissions, transfers, and deaths, using clinical identifiers and strict inclusion/exclusion criteria.
- Complete and verify for accuracy all data collected according to standards outlined by regulatory bodies- New York State/American College of Surgeons and as directed by the TPM/TMD, including identification of all injuries, procedures, complications and outcomes.
- Maintain quality data standards for submission to internal/external databases via frequent validation reports provided by trauma registry staff, program leadership, as well as external bodies; ie) TQIP, NTDB, NYS DOH
- Complete data abstraction of clinical information into the registry both concurrently and retrospectively while meeting frequent data deadlines.
- Assign and accurately score all injuries utilizing the Abbreviated Injury Scale (AIS) and validate ICD diagnostic codes, operative codes, E-codes and modify as needed.
- Daily tracking on hospitalized patients reviewing patient charts for additional data indicators, and completion of concurrent data abstraction.
- Coordinate with other program staff, departments, and agencies as needed to gather all data necessary to complete the abstraction on each patient; including trauma program leadership/faculty, attending and resident physicians, advanced practice providers, nurses, and pre-hospital personnel.
- Oversee the conversion, upload, and transfer of trauma registry data to other designated database systems, including local, state, and national systems; (NYS Department of Health, National Trauma Data Bank, Trauma Quality Improvement Program)
- Serve as resource/mentor to other trauma registry staff.
- Serve as integral part of regulatory trauma verification/designation process.
- Analyze and interpret trauma data to provide both routine and ad hoc reports of trauma statistics and QA filters used for weekly PI meetings, routine volume reporting, annual comprehensive reports, education/injury prevention, financial analysis, internal requests, and external oversight: ie) NYS Department of Health, American College of Surgeons
- Provide feedback to clinical providers on detailing injury descriptions to obtain accurate injury severity scoring and improve hospital reimbursement.
- Monitor security of data to ensure the integrity and reliability of database systems and ensure preventative and routine maintenance for the trauma registry.
- Maintain all reference materials necessary for trauma registry, coding, and abstracting.
- Research, evaluate and recommend changes in equipment to facilitate trauma registry.
- Resolve technical software or reporting issues with internal systems as well as software vendor as needed.
- Responsible for identifying areas for streamlining and process improvement in the data collection process.
Trauma Research, Education, and Performance Improvement:
- Serve as registry liaison for internal and external bodies and acts as a resource in responding to questions to project organization/planning and to clinical and administrative data collection, management and reporting issues.
- Serve as an educational resource on the trauma registry for internal and external audiences by developing educational material and delivering presentations.
- Participate as an integral member of the Trauma Performance Improvement program. Attend meetings as requested (Trauma QA Review Council, Regional Trauma Advisory Committee, Morbidity & Mortality Conference, Trauma Council)
- Analyze and utilize data to determine continuous and periodic quality improvements as well as in the support of trauma research.
Other Assigned Duties:
- Assist in other assigned duties as requested.
- Attend registry vendor sponsored training workshops/meetings to maximize trauma registry utilization and performance.
- Attend quarterly New York State Trauma Advisory Registry Subcommittee meetings and annual national TQIP meetings and accountable for registry related action items.
Associate’s degree or graduate of an approved Health Records Administration/Health Information Technology/Medical Records Technician program or certification in an approved Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) program required or licensure/credentials in clinical specialty such as RN, LPN, EMT-Paramedic with a minimum of two year work experience in related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must possess ability to review/abstract relevant clinical data from medical records and manage/manipulate a large database. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and have familiarity with database/statistical software, electronic spreadsheets, data systems/processing and research methodology. Medical terminology, computer background and quality assurance background preferred. Must have ability to function with limited direction and demonstrate strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Trauma Registrar
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 209433
Full/Part Time: Full-Time