University of Rochester Technology Support Specialist in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 078 Institute for Innovative Educ
With general direction and latitude for independent judgment, the Technology Support Specialist (TSS) collaborates with faculty and staff to facilitate the use of technology in classrooms and in the University as a whole. The successful TSS is well-organized, with proficiency in technology and computers, and an aptitude for teaching.
As a TSS you are responsible for providing exceptional technology support in an educational setting, including but not limited to, installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading hardware and software.
You are attentive to detail and dependable, have an interest in delivering quality services to a highly diverse customer base. You possess good communication, interpersonal, organizational, and problem resolution skills. You are self-motivated, able to work both independently and collaboratively to ensure smooth day-to-day operation of services.
This position will often have non-standard hours, including early mornings, late nights, and weekends.
Serve as primary support for high stakes, computer-based medical student assessments.
- Provide support for over 100 desk-tops and 30 laptops dedicated to student examinations.
- Assist Institute for Innovative Education (IIE) IT team in anticipated and analyzing technical gaps; participate in creating novel, sustainable solutions.
- Instruct both teaching staff and students how to use technology-based learning tools.
Provide first- and second-level support for large customer base and departmental staff whose business functions rely primarily on digital technologies.
- Handle in-coming help requests from end users via both telephone and work orders in a courteous manner.
- Prioritize and schedule problems. Escalate problems (when required) to the appropriately experienced staff.
- Train users to work with new computer hardware or software, such as printers, word-processing software, and email.
- Provide other team members and managers with information about what gives customers the most trouble and what concerns them.
- Maintain historical records by documenting hardware and software changes and revisions.
- Maintain client confidence and protect operations by keeping information confidential.
Provide technical support and expertise to IIE staff.
- Respond to phone and email requests for help.
- Help users remotely and in person.
- Reimage new/replacement hardware and instruct staff.
- Consult staff on their technical needs and suggest cost effective solutions.
- Provide analysis, troubleshooting, design, implementation and operational support.
- Order, receive, and install new equipment.
Provide software and database management support, including envisioning and developing databases for new and existing departmental processes.
- Recommend software for new IIE processes when needed.
- Software support includes, but is not limited to, CMETracker, Microsoft Office, EMSCampus, Constant Contact, Windows, OSX, and mobile platforms.
Responsible for ensuring IIE’s technical infrastructure is in working order.
- Anticipate potential issues.
- Coordinate with Facilities, Information Systems Division, and Information Technology Systems to meet staff and customer needs.
- Maintain inventory of all assets valued at more than $500.
Participate in professional activities.
- Actively participate in IT and IIE staff meetings.
- Serve on appropriate committees or groups, as needed.
- Maintain expertise in current desktop and network technologies, as well as wide range of systems, applications, and customized needs in support of education, research, and Medical Center initiatives.
Associate's degree in related technical discipline, electronics, or related subject plus 3 years related experience, or equivalent.
Working knowledge of Apple Hardware, OS X, Mobile, PC, and Windows. Basic understanding of LAN/WAN technologies, including design, hardware, and protocols.
- Ability to absorb and retain information quickly.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Embrace continuous learning as essential to personal and organizational success.
- Manage time and multiple projects in a complex environment with a positive and creative attitude.
- Pay close attention to detail, meet inflexible deadlines, remain calm during difficult situations, work under pressure, and work with frequent interruptions.
Apple iOS Technician Certification. Basic understanding of HTML.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Technology Support Specialist
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 208527
Full/Part Time: Full-Time