University of Rochester Technical Assoc I (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 051 Ophthalmology M&D;
8:30 AM-5 PM
The candidate will act as the primary laboratory research coordinator for the faculty, staff, and graduate students in the Mouse Genome Editing Resource (MGE) core facility. He or she will manage laboratory operations, including to execute sophisticated experiments in mouse genetics, to ensure the laboratory within compliance of law and university policies, and to train staff in the mouse genetics technologies.
- Performs and oversees all day-to-day processes necessary for the creation of genetically modified (GM) mouse models in the MGE facility. Responsible for all aspects of mouse genetics services including culture of mouse ES cell lines and other mammalian cell lines, gene targeting, microinjection of ES cells, CRISPR/Cas9 reagents and transgene construct, mouse surgeries related to GM mouse production, MEF isolation and preparation, reagent preparation,cryo-preservation and recovery of mouse embryos and sperms, and equipment maintenance.Provides animal colony management including accurate logging of surgical procedures, genotyping, and colony management. Establish UCAR protocols and ensures that all lab personnel complete necessary UCAR training and follow UCAR guidelines, and report directly to UCAR on compliant issues.
- Oversee all day-to-day processes necessary for the creation of genetically modified (GM) mouse models in the MGE facility. Responsible for all aspects of mouse genetics services including culture of mouse ES cell lines and other mammalian cell lines, gene targeting, microinjection of ES cells, cloning and other molecular biology procedures to generate CRISPR/Cas9 reagents and transgene constructs, mouse surgeries related to GM mouse production, MEF isolation and preparation, reagent preparation, andcryo-preservation and recovery of mouse embryos and sperms.
- Provides animal colony management including breeding, accurate logging of surgical procedures, genotyping, and colony management.
- Maintain and manage laboratory, including ordering of reagents and supplies, preparing and organizing and cleaning lab, maintaining and troubleshooting equipment maintenance, and training and supervising other laboratory personnel, including students.
- Remain current in scientific knowledge and develop new mouse genetics technologies and techniques. Create and modify standard operating procedures and UCAR protocols, andensure that all laboratorypersonnel complete necessary UCAR and laboratory safety training and follow UCAR guidelines, and report directly to UCAR on compliant issues. Other duties as necessary for completion of research project and work assigned by the PI.
Bachelor's degree with major course work in field of assignment, and 1 year of related work experience involving direct assistance to researchers; or any equivalent combination of experience, training and education.
Bachelor’s degree in biology or other life science and 1+ years of experience with mouse ES cell culture and gene targeting techniques, microinjection of mouse blastocysts and oocytes, andsurgical procedures. The candidate will be required to successfully apply his or her skills as a competent mouse ES Cell technologist and microinjectionist immediately upon starting. The MGE facility is a seven-day-a-week operation, the candidate must be willing to participate in holiday work rotation schedule and have a work schedule that includes weekend days each week. The candidate is expected to be familiar with MS Office and related computer skills and toexcel at time management to accomplish the complex tasks necessary for managing the MGE facility. Attention to detail is expected, as is the ability to function effectively in a team environment. The candidate will possess strong communication and troubleshooting skills and will have the opportunity to contribute directly to the success of the MGE.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Technical Assoc I (S)
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 211593
Full/Part Time: Full-Time