University of Rochester Staff Scientist, SMD in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 055 Cancer Center M&D;
8 AM-4:30 PM
The newly established Laboratory of Cancer Genomics in the Wilmot Cancer Institute at the University of Rochester Medical Center is seeking a productive and highly motivated individual interested in cancer epigenetics/genomics. Current studies make use of molecular genetic and genomic approaches to understand epigenetic control of transcription and its role in phenotypic plasticity, intratumor heterogeneity and the emergence of invasive or drug resistant properties.
This Staff Scientist position will undertake project development and management at the senior professional level by assuming responsibility for complex research projects that constitute major aspects of several larger research projects. This position will work independently; supervise junior laboratory technicians, undergraduate students, pre-doctoral students, post-doctoral and medical fellows who join the research laboratory.
- Teaching and supervision of graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and laboratory technicians.
- Data analysis and interpretation with multiple University core facilities and other departments including Pathology, Flow Cytometry Core, Light microscopy core, Mass Spectrometry Resource Lab, Functional Genomics Core, and Mouse Genome Editing Resource.
- Advance and carry on collaboration with other researchers at outside institutions. The ability to maintain relationships with contacts inside and outside the University is essential to the productivity and efficiency of the laboratory.
- Oversee laboratory budget for supplies and service.
- Continuously update and maintain all state and Institutional regulatory compliance with University Committee on Animal Resource (UCAR), Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) and International Biosafety Committee (IBC).
- Responsible for designing and executing the studies of translational epigenomics in human cancers.
- Define epigenomic/genomic signatures associated with environmental exposures and patient outcomes with the goal of identifying novel routes for cancer therapy.
- Research literature to design and develop methods and resolution of technical problems in the evaluation of the appropriateness of techniques used in experimental protocols.
- Independently design, perform, troubleshoot and interpret data emerging from experiments in molecular/cancer biology, (epi)genetic/omics, and/or bioinformatics including epigenomics technology/data (WGBS, ChIP-seq, ATAQ-seq, Pro-seq/RIP-seq), single-cell approaches, RNA biology, gene editing, or cancer models (3D culture, spheroid/organoid).
Doctoral degree with major course work in the field of assignment and a minimum of 2-5 years of relevant postdoctoral training. Experience in the biomedical sciences and computational biology are highly desirable, but applicants with a strong background in a related area, track-record of accomplishment, and desire to work in a multidisciplinary team of investigators focused on cancer epigenetics will be considered. Computational scientists (MS/PhD) with expertise in bioinformatics, systems biology and machine learning approaches are also encouraged to apply.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Staff Scientist, SMD
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 209556
Full/Part Time: Full-Time