University of Rochester Staff Orthotist in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 051 Orthotics and Prosthetics
11 AM-7 PM
Provides comprehensive patient care related to patient evaluation, prescription recommendation, design and material selection of all assistive devices, fitting and adapting of all assistive devices, and coordination of patient care with other health care professionals, with emphasis on custom devices.
- Determine the needs of the patient by integrating the information obtained from histroy, examination and observation in order to assess the specific needs of the patient.
- Determine from the patient; by verbal interaction, his or her needs and expectations; in order to provide an appropriate and realistic prescription
- Provide information to the patient, family and involved health professionals regarding potential advantages and disadvantages of a device in order to assure understanding of the treatment plan in cooperation of the individuals involved
- Analyze the data obtained by empirical methods in order to prepare a recommendation
- Develop a treatment protocal for the specific patient by review of data obtained in order to determine a specific device recommendation and plan for its use
- Evaluate a patient's gait by visual observation in order to achieve optimum prosthetic or orthotic function
- Achieve optimum alignment of patient's prosthetic/orthotic device by evaluation of the saggital, transverse and coronal planes in order to proivde maximum function
- Demonstrate the solution to a patient's prosthetic/orthotic problem by appropriate evaluation in order to achieve proper function
- Interprets data on measurement forms by reviewing numerical values in order to determine appropriate procedures.
- Select appropriate materials and components bases on patient criteria in order to ensure optimum strength, durability and function
- Evaluate a device to identify deviations from prescribed standards by its inspection in order to correct impaired fit and function
- Utilize inspection system to assess systematically appropriateness of technical procedures at various stages in order to reduce product deficiencies
- Utilize sound safety protocols for personnel in use of appropriate lab materials and machinery in order to achieve a maximum safety
- Communicate information clearly concerning the patient to the appropriate people in order to achieve ultimate patient care
- Demonstrate proper documentation of patient history and financial records by established record keeping techniques in order to verify patient care and other pertinent records
- Inform the patient of financial obligations and requirements for compliance to third party agencies by utilizing the appropriate means of communication in order to assure proper reimbursement
- Utilize procedures for patient care that comply with accepted medical/legal requirements by maintaining current education in these areas to provide appropriate patient care in order to avoid legal ramifications
- Communicates roles and expectations of facility employees by providing documentation in order to create a professional cooperative working environment in order to improve patient care.
- Select the most appropriate course of action when faced with patient related problems by applying their experience in order to recognize their limitations in providing appropriate patient care
- Provide optimum patient care by recognizing the need to pursue continuing education in order to remain current in practice
- Provide ethical patient care by applying the ABC Canon of Ethics in order to maintain ethical professional services
- Inform individuals involved in patient care by utilizing appropriate communication skills in order to provide them with current prosthetic and orthotic information
achelor's degree in Orthotics and/or Prosthetics, certified by American Board of Certification (ABC) for Orthotics and Prosthetics and currently a member in good standing with ABC; or Bachelor's degree in any discipline and Orthotics/Prosthetics certificate from an approved NCOPE (National Commission on Orthotics and Prosthetics Education) program; and 1 year clinical experience supervised by an ABC certified practitioner. Graduate level coursework in Orthotics and/or Prosthetics preferred.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Staff Orthotist
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 209631
Full/Part Time: Full-Time