University of Rochester Staff Accountant in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 051 Public Health Sciences
8 AM-4:30 PM
Provides, in an independent manner, professional financial and administrative support to the Office of Grants and Agreements in the Department of Public Health Sciences (PHS). With latitude for independent judgment, utilizes knowledge of the University accounting platform (UR Financials), policy, and procedures to provide proper review and control over all currently funded projects. Initiates requests for research payroll-related paperwork for department. Possesses strong organizational and interpersonal skills, and the ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner.
Sponsored Project/Research Financial Reporting and Compliance:
- Develops and maintains financial reports on all sponsored projects to ensure that funds are being used appropriately and in accordance with funding agency policies. The department currently holds grants from foundations, state government, federal government, and other sources. This requires attention to detail, analysis, comprehension, and the ability to clearly describe needed corrections to Research Administration (RA) Manager. Reports and other queries may be requested by department chair, faculty, RA Manager, the dean’s office, and/or ORACS.
- Examines, identifies, pursues and resolves issues (personnel and non-personnel) related to monthly ledger reconciliation, including salary distribution adjustments, undocumented expenditures, etc. Determines, and advises RA Manager, on questionable expenditures by interpreting grant award notices, sponsor websites, and other information related to grant finance. Projects future spending based upon past expenditures, budgeted, and encumbered charges, and uses these projections to interpret trends. Uses experience, training, and knowledge of procedures and regulations to resolve issues and suggest solutions, collaborating with research staff to solve problems or correct trends. Leads financial troubleshooting projects and communicates with people in and outside of the department as needed, providing timely information and suggesting solutions. Once an agreement is reached, accountant will process any necessary paperwork and monitor account to ensure that solutions are implemented.
- Creates and/or makes improvements and updates to standard and ad hoc reports and shadow systems based on analysis of trends, changes in regulations, and stakeholder feedback.
- Maintains account balances, FAO activity and reporting, etc., using experience, knowledge, and independent judgment. Reconciles and manages grant FAO account records, ensuring spending is in line with budgeted goals and notifying RA Manager of variances.
- Maintains files and improves systems for the monthly reports and reconciliations as well as researching and preparing journal entries and other paperwork as needed.
- Develops and updates various spreadsheets on an ad-hoc and routine basis relating to ledger activity and financial projections utilizing UR Financials, Cognos, Excel, etc.
- Prepares, manages, and performs account closeouts at RA Manager’s discretion and in conjunction with our Staff Accountant in ORACS. Leads conversions or updates to new financial programs for managing grant expenditures. Performs additional financial/accounting duties as needed.
- New York State ContractAccounting: Maintains an accurate shadow system (and line-item specific budget to actual analysis) with backing documentation that will be submitted to corroborate monthly vouchering by ORACS for a NYS funded project that sits in PHS. Utilizes accounting system for examination and analysis of both payroll and non-payroll expenditures on a monthly basis, in conjunction with UR Financials, Cognos, HRMS, and other diagnostic tools to ensure accuracy, completeness, and conformance to regulations for the state contract. Works in concert with ORACS and RA Manager, but leads the initiative to have clean and supported vouchers monthly. Communicates important deadlines to Manager, Project Director, and Contract Team.
- Petty Cash/Research Participant Incentive Management: Manages all Participant Incentive Accounting, works closely with RA Manager and URMC’s Bank of America finance office liaison for timely activation of VISA cards for research or other sponsored project participants. Assists with handling of incentive payments in accordance with University finance and departmental policies and procedures.
- Data Use Agreement Accounting: Maintains database for all Data Use Agreements held by faculty in PHS. Assists where needed when Principal Investigators submit to extend, cancel, reuse their data sets from the federal government and other granting agencies. Manages wire transfers with Central Finance for timely and accurate payments for data. Works with PHS Lead Analyst/Programmer to ensure data is housed in compliance with approved data management plans. Coordinate with CIRC as needed. Point of contact for PHS faculty CIRC or other warehousing fees. (5%)
- Veterans Administration Accounting: Submits invoices on a monthly or quarterly basis through on-line portal for Assignment Agreements with the Veterans Administration (VA) for staff, faculty and residents working at the VA. Examines, identifies, pursues, and resolves issues (personnel and non-personnel) related to monthly ledger reconciliation, including salary distribution adjustments, undocumented expenditures, etc. for VA Task Orders.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field and one year of professional accounting experience, or equivalent combination of education, experience and training required.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with sharp attention to detail.
- Values integrity, clean data, efficient workflows, and outstanding personal performance.
- Positive customer service attitude with strong communication skills and commitment to excellence.
- Willingness to learn new skills and grow in a flexible and changing environment. Ability to quickly learn new programs, systems, and software.
- Microsoft Excel, Word, Access, and spreadsheet analysis and development experience with general computer knowledge, ease, and familiarity.
- CLASP certification (or successful completion within one year of date of hire). Experience with UR accounting (UR Financials) and payroll (HRMS) procedures preferred. Previous experience in an academic research environment and familiarity with the University’s Effort Policy strongly preferred.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Staff Accountant
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 210424
Full/Part Time: Full-Time