University of Rochester Staff Accountant in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 051 The Institute of Optics
8:30 AM-5 PM
Under the direction of Department Administrator(s), perform accounting and administrative activities for engineering departments maintaining accurate financial records and research academic programs. With latitude for independent decision making, the analyst leads efforts for database creation, data management, and analysis in support of The Institute of Optics initiatives. This position is expected to act with a high-level of independence and should, in an ongoing way, review program financial systems and take initiative to improve it.
In support of accounting activities for engineering departments:
- Performs analyses of ledger accounts in order to confirm completeness and accuracy of data; uses judgment as to whether account balances are reasonable; examines accounting documents to ascertain that transactions are properly supported in accordance with University policy and procedures; initiates corrective action or recommends solutions as appropriate, exhibits and summaries supporting findings and recommendations.
- Financial oversite of operating, project, gift, and research accounts. Distributes monthly reports to faculty.
- Within department guidelines but with latitude for independent judgment and self-directed action, maintains complete and systematic set of records of department financial transactions.
- Frequent updates to financial database and shadow system.
- To be responsible for approving PCard charges and allocating to correct accounts.
- Enters encumbrances and transactions into UofR's accounting system, reconciles monthly accounting statements and summary reports to administrator.
- To assist administrator in forecasting account for the dean's office.
- Computes and compiles periodic financial reports such as forecasts, budget variances, and project expenditures.
- Supports the Administrator in project close-out by working with Office of Research Accounting and Costing Standards (ORACS) representatives and completing Report on Expenditures.
- Manages the financial responsibilities for the multi-year award.
- To create a comprehensive report and present and communicate information clearly and effectively verbally, in writing and in graphic form.
Purchasing and Finance Administration
- With decision making authority; purchases research lab in lab supplies, non-capital equipment.
- Collaborate with faculty and lab personnel to determine financial accounts and spend codes, to ensure accurate accounting processes are being administered.
- Analyze account purchases and advise faculty on purchases and account status; devise methods of reporting to faculty, with demonstrated knowledge of financial reporting policies and procedures prepare appropriate purchasing documents for purchases.
Other Duties as Assigned
Bachelor's degree with two to three years of experience in data management or a background in statistical and/or quantitative analysis and research techniques. Experience with data base tools desired. Advanced Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word skills preferred. Experience with UR Financials, and URGems is preferred. Ability to work collaboratively with others, handle multiple priorities and assignments, keep organized records, make decisions and function independently and work well within sometimes limited time constraints to meet deadlines.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Staff Accountant
Location: Sch Engineering & App Sci
Job ID: 211445
Full/Part Time: Full-Time