University of Rochester Staff Accountant in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 051 Clin & Trans Science Institute
8:30 AM-5 PM
The CTSI Staff Accountant provides, in an independent manner, professional financial and administrative support to the Financial Administrator in the Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI). With latitude for independent judgment, utilizes knowledge of the University accounting procedures to provide proper review and control over activity which impacts the financial records of administration for all of the currently funded projects. Processes research payroll-related paperwork for department.
The CTSI Staff Accountant interprets and applies University policies and procedures, granting agency fiscal policies, and department policies and procedures.
Under general direction from the CTSI Financial Administrator and with latitude for independent judgment:
Grant Finance Support
- Develops and maintains financial reports on all externally and internally funded departmental funding and contracts to ensure that funds are being used appropriately and in accordance with funding agency policies.This requires attention to detail, analysis, comprehension, and the ability to recommend correct courses of action to the Financial Administrator, as regulations and rules can be different for each project and for each funding agency. These reports may be sent to the department director, to the faculty and trainees of the pilot/incubator program awardees or to other groups as appropriate. Makes improvements and updates to these reports based on analysis of trends, changes in regulations, and customer feedback.
- Examines, identifies, and pursues issues (personnel and non-personnel) related to monthly reconciliation, including salary distribution adjustments, undocumented expenditures, etc. Determines, and advises Financial Administrator on, the appropriateness of expenditures by interpreting grant award notices, sponsor websites, and other information related to grant and operational finances. Uses experience, training, and knowledge of procedures and regulations to resolve issues and suggest solutions.Advises administrators/staff in troubleshooting financial issues providing timely information and solutions. Once an agreement is reached, accountant will process any necessary paperwork and monitor account to ensure that solutions are implemented.
- Examines expenditures by reviewing Workday FAOs and Cumulative Salary Reports on a monthly basis for all research financial accounts including those related to grants, contracts, and other research activities.Ensure levels of effort charged to sponsored projects match with actual effort of budgeted levels. Enters personnel and non-personnel financial data journal entries, etc. in UR-GEMS or other shadow system; prepares and submits personnel forms/salary distribution changes for processing as needed. Utilizes accounting system for examination and analysis of both payroll and non-payroll expenditures on a monthly basis, in conjunction with Cognos, HRMS, and other diagnostic tools to ensure accuracy, completeness, and conformance to regulations for each project.
- Prepares, manages, and performs annual University fiscal year end reporting and year end budget reports to sponsors for all research accounts.
- Analyzes and manages monthly billing for the Clinical Research Center (CRC) from data collected on the Bionutrition Services billing, DEXA report, and Outpatient and Inpatient reports from Webcamp.Develops and maintains CRC Billing Spreadsheets, generates journal entries, obtains required approval and signatures, performs ledger reconciliation, and manages monthly Activity Summary Reports.
- Serves as a contact for daily queries from CTSI faculty and staff (as well as University staff-Payroll, Finance, Purchasing, etc.) for issues related to payroll, purchases, account balances, FAO activity and reporting, etc., using experience, knowledge, and independent judgment. Reconciles and manages division FAO account records, ensuring spending is in line with budgeted goals and notifying Administrator of variances.
- Maintains files and improves systems for the monthly reports and reconciliations as well as researching and preparing journal entries and other paperwork as needed.
- Develops and updates various spreadsheets on an ad-hoc and routine basis relating to ledger activity and financial projections utilizing UR Financials, Cognos, UR-GEMS, etc.
- Performs additional financial/accounting duties as needed.
Grants and Office Administration
- Prepares sign-off forms for grant proposals.Assists in budget preparation by assembling and computing data
- Works with Administrator to provide reporting including annual division report, annual grant report, and ad hoc reporting.Maintains the grant tracking database and updates as necessary.Updates other tracking documentation to ensure accuracy, timeliness, and adherence to policies.
- Performs the annual Space and Equipment survey and other University surveys as needed.
- Works with Administrator to ensure departmental compliance with University Effort Reporting Policy.
- Manages office organizational details, supply ordering, and procedures to ensure an efficient, clean, and prepared work environment.
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field and 1 year of professional accounting experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with keen attention to detail and value of data integrity.
- Positive customer service attitude with strong communication skills and commitment to excellence.
- Willingness to learn new skills and grow in a flexible and changing environment.
- Microsoft Excel, Word, Access, and spreadsheet development experience with general computer knowledge, ease, and familiarity.
- Possesses strong organizational and interpersonal skills, and the ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner.
- Familiarity with accounting procedures and terms required.
- Experience with Apple and Windows platforms.
- Experience with University of Rochester accounting and payroll procedures.
- CLASP certification – candidate lacking this certification will attend classes upon hiring and is required to successfully obtain certification.
- Previous experience in research setting.
The University of Rochester is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. The University believes that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace culture enhances the performance of our organization and our ability to fulfill our important missions. The University is committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit fact, so that all employees feel included, equal valued and supported.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Staff Accountant
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 208526
Full/Part Time: Full-Time