University of Rochester Sr Medical Records Coder in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 008 Health Information Mgmt Dept
Responsible for in-depth analysis of medical records to abstract all diagnoses and procedures. Assigns codes from appropriate coding classification system. Assigns DRG/APC utilizing grouper based on payer.
- Performs in depth analysis of medical records to abstract diagnoses and procedures.
- Confers with Physicians to obtain greater specificity and/or clarification on possible diagnoses.
- Uses thorough knowledge of coding systems and grouper logic to assign appropriate codes and DRG/APC assignment taking into consideration service intensity weights to assign optimal DRG/APC.Understands third party payers to enable selection of appropriate grouper.
- Insures integrity of data prior to transmission.
- Inputs data into computer for billing, research, and clinical analysis purposes.
- Reports reportable diagnoses to New York State Congenital Malformation and Alzheimer Registries.
- As necessary, provides Physicians and other staff with information relative to coding and DRG's.
- Prepares reports as requested and related clerical tasks.
Associates degree in Health Information Technology. Bachelors in Health Information Administration preferred and minimum of two years coding in an acute care facility preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience. Successful completion of American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) accreditation examination for Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or (Registered Health Information Technician) RHIT or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) preferred. Knowledge of ICD-9CM and ICD-10CM required.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Sr Medical Records Coder
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 208289
Full/Part Time: Full-Time