University of Rochester Sr Library Asst in Rochester, New York
Full Time 35 hours Grade 010 ESM Sibley Music Library
8:30 AM-5 PM
Under minimal supervision, provide broad support for the Acquisitions and Serials Department in building the collections in Sibley Music Library. Manages bibliographic searching of frequently complex records, and orders and receives purchases and gifts of materials in all formats. Manages electronic resources including electronic serials. Uses the electronic library management system (currently Voyager, migrating to Alma in July 2019), OCLC, Microsoft Office, publisher websites, and Serials Solutions. Requires the ability to understand acquisitions and library procedures, a broad knowledge of music including the ability to work with genre-based titles of voluminous composers, and the ability to work accurately.
Bibliographic searching, and verification of items recommended by selectors, faculty members and students in all languages (primarily English, but also German, French and Italian) and formats (books, scores, recordings, periodicals, primary source documents and antiquarian), for new items, and for replacements for brittle, missing and lost items.
- Searches OCLC and other reference sources for all items with insufficient bibliographical information.
- Searches library catalog (Voyager). Notifies selectors if items already held by Sibley.
- Estimates prices based on publishers’ databases, record labels, Internet resources, Books in Print, etc. Converts foreign currencies as necessary.
Orders, receives and processes new monographs, and gifts.
- Searches OCLC; imports bibliographic records into Voyager cataloging. For all without OCLC copy, creates brief bibliographic records in Voyager cataloging.
- Creates purchase orders in Voyager acquisitions. Monitors ledgers and funds on purchase orders.
- Approves purchase orders in Voyager acquisitions. Transmits purchase orders to U.S. and foreign vendors, or places orders on vendors Web-based ordering databases.
- Verifies items received with invoices and purchase orders/on-order files.
- Processes monographic items for cataloging and routes to cataloging staff.
- Processes invoices in Voyager and routes to Head of Acquisitions and Serials for approval.
- Trouble-shoots problems; corresponds with U.S. and foreign vendors on routine matters.
- Claims unfilled orders through normal vendors’ procedures.
- Consults with Head of Acquisitions and Serials for priorities and procedures for rush orders and implements them.
Manage electronic serials and electronic resources.
- Identify electronic components that are included with each subscription. Verify bibliographic data in Voyager; search OCLC and import bibliographic records into Voyager cataloging as necessary, create bibliographic records for those without OCLC copy.
- Establish access in Voyager, and the Sibley website when applicable, for each component, including working with vendors and publishers (providing IP ranges, and negotiating license agreements).
- Establish procedures for continuous monitoring of access through Voyager or website. Monitor links to identify access issues and work with vendors or publishers to resolve problems and restore access.
- Identify titles that are included in River Campus Libraries subscription packages for which Sibley access may be turned off at some point in the future. Monitor access, and alert Head of Acquisitions and Serials if access is lost.
- Provide back-up assistance for Serials Assistant in maintaining print periodicals collection.
- Maintain accurate, current departmental files.
- Answer inquiries from library users and staff.
- May hire, train and supervise student assistants as department workload demands.
- Associate's degree and 2 years of related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Prefer Bachelor’s Degree and 3 years work experience, preferably in a library.
- Thorough knowledge of the field of music.
- Reading knowledge of one or more European languages.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic experience with word processing and database management computer software.
- Ability to organize time efficiently and cope with a variety of duties.
- Ability to work independently and accurately with little supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in music.
- Recent library experience, preferably in a technical services department.
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability and interpersonal skills.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Sr Library Asst
Location: Eastman School Music
Job ID: 208652
Full/Part Time: Full-Time