University of Rochester Social Worker (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 053 Psychiatry SMH Social Work
The embedded clinical social worker is an integral member of the interdisciplinary primary care team at Highland Family Medicine. He/she provides screening, psychosocial assessment, psychiatric diagnosis and brief, evidence based treatment for patients and families being served at HFM and enrolled in the integrated OMH-regulated clinic. In this role, the clinical social worker routinely partners with others in the healthcare team (nursing, care management, social work, clinicians) to identify high risk patients with behavioral health and medical comorbidities, contributes to a unified person-centered treatment plan with the goal of improving the patient's overall health and well-being, and facilitates access to other specialty psychiatric and substance use care as needed. The position will require formal and informal collaboration with all clinical team members, in -person and through the electronic health record.
This position will be based at the Strong Behavioral Health at Highland Family Medicine location, embedded in the community health center at 777 S. Clinton Avenue. The model of care is based on whole-person, biopsychosocial approaches to recovery and wellness, with special attention to the underserved and marginalized in our community. We also strive for interdisciplinary teamwork, including partnering with patients, families, and their natural supports.
- Ensure that Hospital, Department, and Social Work Division policies and procedures are implemented with regard to patient care, discharge planning, and professional practice.
- Attends Social Work Division, Program Staff and Team Meetings as indicated.
- Participates in the routine committee process of the Social Work Division as appropriate, and complies with Social Work Division quality assurance and staff development activities.
- Participates in activities of the Social Work Division including timely completion of time reporting and other Division forms; Hospital and Division mandatory inservice training programs and UHS reviews.
- Subscribes to the UR Medicine goal of creating a culturally competent environment by treating patient, families, trainees, and co-workers in a sensitive manner with appropriate attention to cultural differences.
- Provides child/adult protective consultation to clinicians and other team members as needed.
- Participates in available cultural competency events and training appropriate to job duties.
- Assessment and diagnostic interviewing
- As a member of the behavioral health team, performs psychosocial assessment and diagnostic formulations with patients and works with all clinical team members to mutually enhance understanding of the patient/family.
- Ensures the development, implementation and monitoring of comprehensive and individualized biopsychosocial treatment plans.
- Provides recommendations and decision support to the oncology team concerning the patient's treatment plan and goals.
- Functions collaboratively and consultatively as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
- Documents all assessment and treatment plans in patient's electronic medical record in compliance with Division, Department and Hospital policy.
- Evidence-based treatment and service delivery
- Offers longitudinal interventions with patients including functional and strengthbased assessment and diagnosis; psychoeducation for patients and their support systems; medication adherence; motivational interviewing; and brief problem solving interventions aimed at promoting self-efficacy, enhanced decision making, and behavior change.
- Initiates follow up to ascertain how patients are doing and to determine if changes in the treatment approach are indicated.
- Program Development
- Supports efforts to complete behavioral health screening for depression, anxiety and substance use.
- Assists in tracking and monitoring, including tracking patient's adherence to treatment plans, reported outcomes tools, and status after referral to specialty mental health.
- Participates as a member of the clinical primary care team and attends meetings.
- Provides and participates in clinician/staff training and education in integrated behavioral health primary care model.
- Provides back up mental health service coverage to other integrated therapists as needed.
- Linkage with Other Programs
- Facilities referrals to specialty behavioral health care; wellness programs; and community agencies.
- Recommends and facilitates which patients should be referred to a specialty mental health facility.
- Crisis intervention
- Provides Crisis Intervention during working hours.
- Participates in on-call activities of the Pro grain, as indicated.
- The social worker may provide supervision and training to social work students as determined by the social work supervision in consultation with the Clinical Manager for Social Work and Medical Site Director.
- The Social worker may participate in teaching concerning patient and family assessment, and treatment interventions as they relate to the psychosocial aspects or behavioral health care of patients care within WCC.
- The social worker may participate in interdisciplinary and/ or social work research endeavors as determined by the social work supervisor in consultation with the Clinical Manager for Social Worker and UR Site Medical Director.
The social worker that occupies this position has an MSW from an accredited social work graduate program. They must be licensed by the State of New York (LMSW, LCSW, and LCSW-R) and competency in providing cognitive and behavioral interventions to individuals, families, and groups. Training and clinical experience in integrated behavioral health and collaboration preferred.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Social Worker (S)
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 209535
Full/Part Time: Full-Time