University of Rochester Secretary IV in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 009 Pediatrics Neonatology
8 AM-4:30 PM; MUST BE FLEXIBLE WITH SCHEDULE; SCHEDULE MAY VARY BASED ON OPERATIONAL NEEDS.
Provide secretarial support to the Division of Neonatology Pediatrics Academic/Research offices, requiring attention to detail and timelines, and ability to work independently with a high degree of efficiency. The Secretary IV assists with day-to-day operations of the Division for 30 faculty, fellows and staff, with a main focus on providing support for the faculty and staff of the Neonatology’s Clinical Research Group. With minimum direction and considerable latitude for independent judgment, performs routine and non-routine duties requiring highly advanced secretarial skills and proficiency for Division faculty, fellows and staff. Efficiently handles all details and duties requiring extensive experience with policies, procedures and practices of the Division and the Department. Assist faculty with the execution of their research and academic responsibilities including preparation of presentations and manuscripts as necessary, coordination and collection of data, tracking research certifications, and making travel arrangements to research and other academic meetings. Monitors and ensures all functions are completed in an accurate, efficient and customer friendly manner.
Perform Secretarial Duties Requiring Advanced Skills. Serve as first line secretarial resource for division faculty, fellows and staff. Provide secretarial support to clinical research faculty, fellows and staff by addressing requests to meet deadlines
- Act as resource for Division scheduling and the point of contact for research meetings, Industry sponsored monitor visits, visiting investigators, events and travel arrangements, mainly for the Director of Clinical Research, the associated Laboratory(ies) and Senior Clinical Research Staff.
- Assist in arrangements for Divisional meetings and events. Coordinate research conference arrangements including obtaining AV equipment, room reservation and refreshments.
- Schedule Division’s shared conference room space.
- Coordinate travel and accommodations for research faculty and staff including meeting registration. Complete faculty travel reimbursement forms and tracks annual travel allowance.
- Provide support and serve as recording secretary; prepare and distribute agendas, obtain information, distribute minutes; follow up on action items as requested for the Neonatal Clinical Trials Group, an ancillary committee to the RSRB.
- Assist with Divisional Clinical Research communications and faculty and staff presentation preparation.
- Obtain signatures for research related documents, mailings, copying, preparing clinical trial subject’s records, scanning and faxing.
- Maintain Clinical Research trainings, certifications, and track research publications for the Division; including maintaining the central binder that houses research staff’s CVs, licenses, and trainings of record.
- Assist with developing PowerPoint slide, clinical research training materials, and poster presentations. At the direction of faculty, staff and fellows, help format and order posters for presentation at local and national meetings.
- Compose non-routine and routine correspondence.
- Complete requests for research articles utilizing electronic databases and the Miner Library resources.
Possess Knowledge of University Forms and Procedures
- Completes requests for payment, travel and conference, 312-requisitions, employee expense reimbursements, grant petty cash reimbursements, and ITSR forms, etc.
- Coordinate equipment purchases and maintain contracts and equipment. Maintain and monitors SAS/SPSS license for division, by accurately submitting correct account numbers to be charged and making sure the licenses do not expire.
- Prior to circulation, review all forms for completeness, accuracy, appropriateness, and allowability.
- Coordinate and track signature process for non-personnel costs.
- Order research supplies, reconcile packing slips, and distribute/store purchased items, keeping office supplies organized and accessible.
- Initiate all procurement orders including University SOLO items.
- Respond to requests regarding procurement process and payment status.
- Responsible for Division scanning of all forms and paperwork for electronic filing within 48 hours of transaction request.
- Route and track signature process for personnel forms/salary distribution changes.
- Identify and pursue issues (non-personnel) related to monthly reconciliation, including undocumented expenditures, payment follow-up, etc. Work closely with Pediatric and Non-Pediatric faculty and administrators/ staff in troubleshooting financial issues. Research, follow up, and collect supporting documentation identified as missing through the department’s monthly account reconciliations.
- Prepare and submit all research related petty cash
- Respond to requests for copies of non-salary transaction documentation, including copies of purchase orders, invoices and cost transfers.
- Identifies discrepancies and works with Sr. Accountant to resolve.
- Input non-personnel encumbrances into URGEMs.
- Organize and maintain on-site and off-site storage of hardcopy documents and files.
Act as Division Ambassador by maintaining an open demeanor and helpful resource to individuals from both within and outside of the Division
- Act as a steward to Division by maintaining the visual aesthetic of the office suite and facilitating the timely repair of equipment, furniture, etc.
- Provide cross-coverage for other secretaries within the division.
- Act as courier for Division mail and Finance paperwork, hand deliver urgent items, distribute and receive mail to/from Pediatrics main mailroom, Initiate FedEx mailings, as requested.
Assist in the Coordination of Department and Division program needs and requirements including
- United Way, Flu Program, Malpractice Reduction, Division and Departmental Employee Recognition programs and Monday Shuffle Newsletter, updating Division regarding announcements, deadlines, policy changes.
- Act as Chair of Division quarterly team building activities; developing agenda, coordinating and implementing suggestions.
- Clinical Research Table at the annual Stroll for Strong Kids
- Develop and sustain Division programs to foster community and teamwork among staff and faculty.
Maintain Key & Telephone Database Inventory; assist with Division moves, and onboarding new faculty/staff.
- Maintain Division back-up key system.
- Update databases for key inventory and telephone contact information for all Staff and Faculty.
- Assist with moves within the Division working with Staff HR Administrator.
- Assist with preparation and orientation of new faculty and staff, including computer and phone set up, building access, keys, etc. as well as acting as the new hire’s first point of contact in their first days.
- Maintain and update URSPACE/UREQUIPMENT and Space Survey. Includes tracking computer and other equipment for over 30 staff and faculty.Working with Desktop Support, ensure Division equipment replacement procedures are developed, implemented and maintained. In conjunction with Desktop Support, maintain a thorough inventory and investigation of current equipment and monitor disposal and purchase of equipment throughout the year
2 years of post-high school education, secretarial or word processing studies, or the equivalent. At least 3 years of secretarial and office experience, including 1 year in a position which demonstrated the ability to work with minimum supervision. Demonstrated ability to word process documents and enter data into a database. Demonstrated skills related to achievement of customer satisfaction. Ability to act as a resource to less experienced staff. Prefer at least 4 years post-high school education, secretarial sciences or the equivalent. Experience working with research teams desired.
Strong oral and written communication skills are essential. Full knowledge of Microsoft Office skills including Excel; ability to work with spreadsheets, analyze and interpret essential. Candidate must demonstrate accuracy, grammatically correct documentation in all correspondence. Candidate must be flexible with work schedule. Ability to work in a fast-paced, environment with competing timelines essential. Ability to efficiently and effectively multi-task required.
Must be self-motivated, organized and be a team player. Excellent customer service skills required for advanced secretarial support for faculty and staff. This position assists all functional groups with consistent support in business process efficiencies. Demonstrates efficiency in prioritizing assignments, skill in proactively resolving problems and recommending and implementing continuous quality improvements. Responsible for data entry of all non-salary financial activities. Must have reliable/efficient transportation. CLASP certification desired; knowledge of URGEMS and URSPACE/UREQUIPMENT preferred. Expertise in University policies and procedures including forms processing desired.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Secretary IV
Location: Medical Faculty Group
Job ID: 209628
Full/Part Time: Full-Time