University of Rochester Research Support Associate in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 051 General Pediatrics
8 AM-4:30 PM; EVENINGS AND WKENDS AS NEEDED
THIS POSITION HAS AN END DATE OF 12/31/19.
Position Summary*: *
Work daily on large community-based pediatric asthma interventions within the city of Rochester. Recruit participants into interventions and ensure timely follow-up data collection. Explain studies in detail, use own judgment to answer participant questions, provide informed consent, conduct in-person and telephone interviews, collect breathing measurements, complete medical record reviews, and conduct literature searches. Maintain study databases, perform data collection procedures, and assist with data analysis. Assist with manuscript and grant preparation. Assist with hiring, training, and supervising of research staff. Will communicate with and travel to local Rochester schools, pediatric offices, pharmacies, and participants’ homes in the Rochester area.
Primary enroller for the research studies.
- Conduct telephone calls to screen potential participants for eligibility and interest in asthma study.
- Schedule home visits with family, and coordinate schedules with other staff to conduct home visits.
- Travel to appropriate sites for subject recruitment, including homes and schools.
- Explain study in detail, answer participants’ questions, and obtain informed consent
- Conduct interviews with families and administer surveys
- Collect breathing measurements(spirometry, eNO), height/weight, and saliva samples from child/adolescent participants
- Work with children/adolescents to assure comfort with and accuracy of data collection
- Provide enrollment updates at weekly study meeting, and provide updates daily to study coordinator and asthma coordinator.
Obtain follow-up data collection for research studies
- Communicate with primary care offices to obtain information from medical records for participants
- Travel to schools to obtain breathing measurements from child/adolescent participants, and collect school health records
- Assist with follow-up surveys, as needed
- Enter, organize, and clean study data.
Data collection, data entry, database creation and database maintenance:
- Collect data from interviews and other sources throughout the studies
- Perform on-site validity checks of data and obtain clarification as needed
- Review all surveys and verify that study information is complete and accurate in subject records
- Enter data into study databases
- Independently create tables and coding schematic for the database.
- Use own judgment to organize and clean the data prior to analysis
- Run reports from database
Assist with compiling and disseminating information learned from research studies
- Assist with data analysis:
- Using SPSS, independently conduct bivariate and multivariate analysis with study data
- Manuscript preparation:
- Draft abstracts and manuscripts
- Grant Support:
- Assist in preparation of grant materials
- Presentation preparation:
- Independently organize and design presentations (lectures and posters)
- Conduct literature reviews as needed on related topics:
- Using resources provided (library, Ovid Medline and other online sources) conduct literature reviews for specific topics
Hiring, training and supervision of research staff
- Conduct interviews and assist with hiring of students research assistants
- Assist with organizing and conducting training sessions for the multiple aspects of the asthma interventions including survey administration, and entering data.
- Supervise daily student activities including, delegating tasks, reviewing progress, and providing additional training when needed
- Assist with interviews and training of regular full-time staff
Communication with study participants and study related personnel
- Organize subject honoraria and mail gift cards to families
- Organize subject samples and mail samples to laboratory for analysis; maintain sample results
- Create and mail study newsletters to families and nurses
- Attend weekly study meetings and discuss study related issues and provide insightful suggestions for improvement
Other similar duties as assigned by coordinator(s) and PI
Required Competencies: Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing, in interactions with participants, extramural agencies, officials and physicians. Must be flexible, empathetic, and able to engage effectively with diverse populations. Demonstrate efficiency in prioritizing assignments, skill in proactively and independently resolving problems in the field, and recommending and implementing continuous quality improvements. Possess good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. Experience with Microsoft Access, REDCap, database development/maintenance or SPSS is desirable.
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree with major course work in social or technical field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Occasional evenings and weekends are required. Must have reliable/efficient transportation to travel to schools, homes, pediatric offices and other local sites. Spanish speaking is a plus.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Research Support Associate
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 209558
Full/Part Time: Full-Time