University of Rochester Rehabilitation Therapist in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 053 Psychiatry SMH Ambulatory Svcs
8 AM-4:30 PM; WKENDS AS NEEDED
The Rehabilitation Therapist reports to the Deaf Wellness Center Director and the Director of the General Ambulatory Service and is responsible to provide mental health interventions and support services to individuals and families experiencing mental health issues. This may include confidential individual, family or group counseling, dealing with mental health issues or referrals to treatment for individuals.
Works in partnership with Deaf and hard of hearing patients 14 years and older to promote achievement of psychiatric rehabilitation goals and prevent hospitalization. Assesses strengths/weaknesses in coping skills, living skills, and vocational/occupational functioning. Plans and implements individual/group strategies to address deficits in areas of client functioning. This is provided through participation on an interdisciplinary team designed to provide comprehensive community based psychiatric care.
Administering and delivering of patient-centered mental health services to individuals; mental health assessment; a solid grasp of mental health diagnoses; delivering evidence-based mental health care; treatment planning; and risk assessment; and other clinically relevant activities.
- Participates as a member of an interdisciplinary treatment team involving consultation, psychological diagnosis, treatment planning and periodic care review.
- Provides direct clinical services to assigned patients, which may involve individual, family and/or group therapy and crisis intervention.
- Conducts a comprehensive evaluation of the social support and psychiatric rehabilitation needs of clients.
- Documents treatment in patient's chart in compliance with department and hospital regulations.
- Helps clients cope with symptoms, manage medications, and use professional resources as needed.
- Screens for changes in psychiatric symptoms and takes appropriate action.
- Conducts skill-building groups.
- Liaisons with other departmental programs, community agencies and other mental health centers to ensure continuity of care.
- Provides clinical backup to other members of the treatment team
Subscribes to the Department's goal of creating culturally competent environment by treating patient's families, trainees, research subjects and co-workers in a sensitive and caring manner with appropriate attention to cultural differences. Participates in available cultural competence events and training.
Bachelor's degree with major course work in a related health/occupational field and 2-3 years of relevant experience working with Deaf and hard of hearing patients 14 years and older regarding mental health concerns, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Master's degree in a mental health field preferred. The qualified candidate needs to be a licensed mental health professional within the State of New York (Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy, Mental Health Counseling, Psychology). The candidate must be fluent in American Sign Language (ASL).
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Rehabilitation Therapist
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 209078
Full/Part Time: Full-Time