University of Rochester Referral Coord II in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 000 Dept Desc
8 AM-4:30 PM
With general direction and latitude for initiative and judgment performs routine and non- routine administrative duties to monitor and process department's referrals. Is accountable for completing all referrals in a manner compliant with University standards. The majority of referrals processed are those received by the department but also processes those prescribed by the department's providers.
In processing referrals for receiving providers as well as prescribing providers, prioritizes referrals by following and applying standard policies, procedures and practices. Employs multiple tracking mechanisms to ensure that referral approvals and appointments are obtained in a timely way so that patients are always cleared for their appointment prior to their arrival. Enters progress notes and other pertinent information into the electronic medical record based on application of practices and procedures.
Specific blend of referral duties may vary and are related to the department structure and business needs:
- Reviews referrals to determine if insurance authorization has been obtained. If no authorization, returns referral to referring provider's office via electronic medical record system.
- Identifies, by applying knowledge of provider sub-specialties, the appropriate provider with whom to make an appointment.
- Schedules required ancillary services needed to prepare for appointment. Follow up with patient to ensurecompleteness.
- Explains whether provider participates in patient's insurance and if not, describes options for payment.
- Conveys instructions to patients for appointment by applying the appropriate protocol. Enters scheduled appointment information into electronic medical record for referring provider office to view.
- Assembles, from multiple tabs within the electronic medical record, the necessary details to identify what referral is needed.
- Determines if preliminary testing (i.e. Imaging) is needed based on office practices and procedures and is responsible for explaining to patient, assisting with scheduling and for completeness prior to office visit.
- Anticipates, gathers and sends information to insurance carrier and/or provider needed for obtaining referral or prior authorization for required preliminary testing.
- Completes the referral request in the electronic medical record system once the patient has been seen by entering a new status as closed.
Associate's degree in Medical, Secretarial or related field and a minimum of three years of relevant experience required; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Medical Terminology, experiences with surgical/appointment scheduling software (such as Flowcast), and electronic medical records, preferred. Demonstrated customer relations skills.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Referral Coord II
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 209831
Full/Part Time: Full-Time