University of Rochester Receptionist Clerk III in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 007 Health Information Mgmt Dept
8:30 AM-5 PM; WKENDS/HOL AS NEEDED
Uses a comprehensive knowledge of department policy & procedures, as well as Federal and State laws and regulations, to perform routine and non-routine duties related to appropriately releasing copies of medical records to outside agencies, providers or patients as well as to internal departments. Has latitude for initiative and judgment to assure requests for records are processed accurately and timely in difficult or unusual situations. Exercises a high degree of responsibility, problem solving ability, initiative and good judgment in assuring the request and authorization follow all law and regulations as well as assuring all paper and electronic records are gathered to make a complete medical record for each request. Works daily with a large variety customer base that includes attorneys, all courts, insurance companies, patients, family members, providers and internal departments, etc.
- Processes requests for medical records by ensuring a HIPAA compliant authorization has been received and is valid and contain all of the elements required under HIPAA (when needed).
- Processes urgent requests for medical records to go out to other HealthCare providers for patients currently in their office.
- Reviews the electronic and paper records to determine if there are restricted records contained anywhere within the chart. If restricted records are found, the authorization is reviewed to assure that it contains the appropriate verbiage to release the specific restricted records.
- Answers, analyzes and resolves customer questions for the main Release of Information phone number for the department in a prompt, courteous and professional manner.
- Retrieves, opens and sorts all mail. Research and re-route if it is received in error.
- Greets all department customers and directs them to the appropriate area of the department.
High school education and 3-4 years related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Associate’s degree in Health Information Technology with Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification preferred. Customer service skills as well as computer skills in Windows, word processing and office suite software required.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Receptionist Clerk III
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 206832
Full/Part Time: Full-Time