University of Rochester RDIA Senior Analyst-Programmer in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 054 Clin & Trans Science Institute
This position involves the development, evaluation, and testing of web-based database applications, data integrations, and programming to manage workflows for clinical and experimental data and document procedures used. This includes integration with clinical and specimen metadata for several large research centers, as well performing data quality assurance. Tasks also include formatting data for submission to public genomics data repositories. The candidate will work under general supervision of the RDIA Technical Lead, with some latitude for independent judgment, working with a team of other developers and data managers.
Adapts existing data management applications to meet project requirements
- Where possible, uses features of LabKey Server system to implement, design, test, and track data collection, workflows, and analysis. This includes use of the wikis, file content, lab assay modules, study, issues, and query modules of LabKey Server.
- Consults with users to assess data preparation and management needs, program design and testing.
- Confers with technical team in systems analysis and applications planning to assess needs and recommends modifications and/or additions to existing programs.
- Primarily focused on custom programming for clinical and experimental data. management, data pipeline automation and integration with third-party systems.
- Builds custom reports using LabKey Server SQL.
- Builds, evaluates, tests, and maintains custom LabKey Server modules using Java, LabKey Server APIs, and in-house developed libraries.
- Offers solutions and suggestions to provide optimum efficiency and cost effectiveness and documents procedures used.
- Provides consultation support and instructs large groups on such systems.
Data management tasks; Data QC/QA and scripting
Builds custom external programs using Java, Python, LabKey Client APIs, and SQL to automate data cleaning, data transformation, data QC and reporting.
Collects and analyzes user requirements and system capabilities
Meets with principal investigators, lab personnel, and statisticians involved in research studies to understand volume, frequency, and format of data to be collected, data workflows to be supported, and analytic tools to be implemented.
Attends and presents at project meetings, meets with supervisors, makes recommendations and attends educational seminars
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, computer science or related field (Master’s preferred) and 3-4 years of related experience; 4 to 5 years of experience and 1-2 years in a previous supervisory capacity preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience programming in Java and developing, deploying, troubleshooting J2EE web applications required.
- Experience with command line Linux environment required.
- Experience with scripting data transformation in R and/or Python a plus.
- Experience using relational databases. Working knowledge of SQL required. DBA experience (especially PostgreSQL) a plus.
- Experience with High Performance Computing environment (SGE, PBS, SLURM) a plus.
- Experience working with next generation sequencing data and related data formats a plus.
- Experience with LabKey Server software a plus.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to work and communicate well with a multi-disciplinary team.
- Must be able to work on-site.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: RDIA Senior Analyst-Programmer
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 210105
Full/Part Time: Full-Time