University of Rochester Rad Technologist Ortho in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 094 Orthopaedic-Ambulatry Nur/SMH
The Orthopaedic's Radiologic Tech performs clinical and radiologic tasks in the delivery of patient care in support of providers in the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation. The Radiologic Tech is responsible for a variety of technical, procedural and information systems tasks, which facilitate the delivery of patient care in an efficient and cost effective manner. They utilize the I CARE and the Medicine of the Highest Order standards for providing customer service during the care delivery process. The Radiologic Tech exercises skill in performing high quality radiographs, direct patient care with latitude for independent judgment, in decisions regarding patient flow, procedural activities, management of equipment, exam room supply needs, and supporting the providers. The Radiologic Tech will conduct themselves in a manner that is open, approachable, and conducive to teamwork within the area of practice.
- Properly sets up equipment, positions patient and determines proper X-ray exposure in order to produce a high quality radiograph. Able to effectively work with the orthopaedic and podiatry patient population.
- Translates X-ray requisitions in order to verify patient name, date, and appropriate exam. Understands and practices the 2 patient identifier confirmation process.
- Produces quality work in a timely and efficient manner.
- Notifies immediate supervisor/hospital imaging engineers of equipment malfunctions.
- Handles all radiologic equipment safely and properly including the PACS/CR and DR systems
- Assists with the training of new radiologic technologists.
Clinic/Patient Flow Responsibilities
- Function as a part of the health care team focused on providing exceptional patient care in an efficient method.
- Provides support and anticipates provider needs during exams/simple procedures ensuring that the required supplies are available based on the individual providers needs and the complexity of the patient.
- Constantly works to maximize exam/procedure room utilization by maintaining efficient communication with team members, optimizing patient flow, and assuring that supplies are available when needed.
- Is knowledgeable regarding the SMH and Nursing Practice policies and demonstrates appropriate behaviors that are consistent with the policies.
- The Radiologic Tech is required to demonstrate competence with the patient care workflow in 2 units or locations after the first 1 year of working with the department.
- Appropriately assists in patient care through the use of EMR platform, entering vital signs, patient history, problem lists and medication lists.
- Consistently maintains patient confidentiality according to the HIPAA guidelines.
- Consistently and accurately records patient reported facts and documentation of screening tools in the EMR with the scope of practice.
- Appropriately utilizes equipment to measure different parameters of patient status, e.g. dynamap, pulse oximeter and demonstrates competence in the use of the equipment on an annual basis.
- Collects data for quality improvement studies; works with unit leadership in identifying areas for improvement and opportunities to improve patient and provider experiences in the area.
Equipment and Supply Management
- Performs routine inventory of supplies and makes recommendations regarding opportunities to decrease costs.
- Monitors and maintains the stock of patient care equipment ensuring proper maintenance and storage.
- Troubleshoots malfunctioning equipment, removes malfunctioning equipment from patient care and initiates repair by contacting BME.
- Provides appropriate education on the use of crutches, walkers, canes, slings (donning and doffing), and other DME as directed by the providers.
- Constantly maintains a clean work and patient care environment that is consistent with the hospital standards and the policies established by the Joint Commission.
- Meets ARRT continuing educations requirements and maintain AART.
- Maintains New York State License
- Maintains professional appearance
- Completes annual physical (update)
Satisfactory completion of formal training in an approved school of radiologic technology. Current NVS licensure and ARRT required with current CE credits. One year experience as a radiologic technologist.
Skills and Abilities:
- Consistently completes all annual competence based assessments with an acceptable level of performance.
- Must have well-developed verbal and written communication skills.
- Must demonstrate exceptional patient and provider interactions utilizing the / CARE values.
- Must be familiar with computers and be able to enter data.
- Must maintain a current BLS certification.
- Maintains an accurate individual education log that is updated at a regular interval.
- Maintain accuracy with time keeping procedures consistent with hospital and department policies.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Rad Technologist Ortho
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 207879
Full/Part Time: Full-Time