University of Rochester Public Safety Peace Officer in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 026 Department of Public Safety
Pursuant to the NYS Criminal Procedure Law Section 2.10 designated University of Rochester Public Safety Officers are legally empowered Peace Officers. These Officers will have jurisdiction on all property owned by the University of Rochester and as additionally designated by the Chief Law Enforcement Officers of the City of Rochester, Town of Brighton, Monroe County Sheriff's Office or any other law enforcement agency having jurisdiction.
- Performs all duties of a Public Safety Officer as well as enhanced Peace Officer duties
- Investigates all crimes
- Make warrantless arrests and conduct warrantless searches
- Make Mental Hygiene arrests pursuant to Section 9.14 of the Mental Hygiene Law
- Can exercise force when making an arrest or preventing an escape under Article 35 of the NYS Penal Law
- Is trained to carry and properly utilize baton and law enforcement strength pepper gel
- Can obtain sworn depositions and file criminal complaints
- Investigates motor vehicle accidents, conducts traffic enforcement and issues citations
- Can legally confiscate and possess firearms and illicit drugs
- Required to be available for recall when necessary to respond to University critical operations
Associates degree in Police Science, Criminal Justice, or a related field plus a minimum of 1-year relevant experience; or 4 years of directly applicable experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Must possess a valid NYS Driver's License. Must successfully complete training program and certification as a Peace Officer.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Public Safety Peace Officer
Location: Central Administration
Job ID: 210711
Full/Part Time: Full-Time