University of Rochester Physician Support Spec in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 009 Pedatrics Endocrinology
8 AM-4:30 PM
With minimal direction from physicians, mid-level providers, Chiefs, Practice Manager and Administrator, the Physician Support Specialistis responsible for planning, executing, and completingcomplex secretarial and administrative duties. The specialist will have considerable latitude for independent judgment in assignments while adhering to protocols, policies and Division practice. The specialist must be able to work in a fast-paced environment requiring a working knowledge of the Pediatric organization and procedures as well as those of complementing divisions and internal and external clients. Is responsible for considerable administrative details and duties requiring extensive experience with policies, procedures and practices of the UR Medical Center.
- Assist in scheduling appointments for all outpatient services offered, i.e. clinical appointments, tests and/or procedures.
- Register demographic and insurance information in ePARC.
- Responsible for optimizing provider patient schedule, coordination of patient care, and information.
- Serve as a primary contact to manage and prioritize appointments based on provider preferences.
- Examine the clinical schedule(s) on a continuous basis to identify opportunities for optimizing the scheduling of new patients to meet the URMFG metrics.
- Coordinate functions associated with patient information processing for ambulatory care visits and acts as a resource to staff performing those functions. Monitor and assures that all functions are completed in an accurate, efficient, and customer friendly manner.
- Apply provider preferences and protocols in selecting follow up actions based on provider’s patient notes for scheduling appointments.
- Gather all necessary information for referrals and prior authorizations for the insurance companies.
- Compile all necessary information and drafts for provider signature for non-routine letters of correspondence as related to appeals on denied claims.
- Research hospital medical records for information requested by insurance companies and attorneys.
- Provide cross-coverage and support when Outpatient Access Specialists are not available.
- Provide administrative support to faculty, mid-level providers, research coordinators, and back up coverage for the Practice Manager which includes but not limited to faculty interviews, special events and other ad hoc meetings, lectures, and conferences, including travel arrangements, itineraries, honorariums, and processing of and completion of University travel and reimbursements forms.
- Serve as resource for ePARC to providers and staff in navigating the system, proactively addressing and resolving issues.
- Attend off site or on site meetings as needed, with or without Practice Manager or others, representing the Manager in the Manager’s absence.
- Serve as main point of contact and is the first line of communication to patients and customers.
- Assess calls to understand patient needs, prioritize medical concerns, and demonstrate the ability to triage patient calls appropriately using eRecord. Obtain responses from providers and relays information back to the patient exercising tact to maintain good relations.
- Act as liaison to provide assistance, exercise discretion and interpretive judgment in frequent and often stressful contacts with customers surrounding various needs, such as prior authorizations, coverage for services, and coordination of appointments.
- Use independent judgment and decision making, when scheduling complex ambulatory procedures or, as needed, inpatient procedures with other disciplines based upon patient’s medical conditions and severity.
- Negotiate procedure schedule by communicating complex details directly to the scheduling office.
- Authorize rescheduling and follows up with the provider when cancellations occur by applying protocols for scheduling.
- Follow up to confirm that the order is correct in eRecord for the procedure.
- Based on the nature of the procedure, varies patient education and scheduling follow up appointments.
- Is accountable for completeness of all relevant information.
- Responsible for the security of confidential patient information and files, which includes, but is not limited to, materials that require scanning; faxes received regarding patient information; completing requests received for patient records.
Associate’s degree in Medical, Secretarial or related field and a minimum of three years of relevant experience required; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Medical Terminology, experience with surgical/appointment scheduling software (such as Flowcast), and electronic medical records, preferred. Demonstrated customer relations skills required. Prefer at least 3 years of secretarial and office experience including 1 year in a position which demonstrated the ability to work with minimum supervision and to direct an office operation.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Physician Support Spec
Location: Medical Faculty Group
Job ID: 209548
Full/Part Time: Full-Time