University of Rochester Physician Support Spec in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 009 Neurosurgery Clinical Support
8 AM-4:30 PM
With minimal direction and considerable latitude for independent judgment, performs complex secretarial and administrative duties in a fast-paced environment in support of clinical, educational, and academic programs. Responsible for all clinic preparations, including but not limited to, providers ‘time and calendar management while optimizing provider patient schedule, coordination of patient care and information/data support. Provide coverage in other Neurosurgery offices as well as the call center when needed.
- Provides clinical staff support, reassigns by bumping and rescheduling of clinics due to emergencies and surgical schedule.
- Prepares and researches upcoming clinics assuring all documentation necessary is accounted for and ensures they meet Meaningful Use requirements.Appeals any denials for surgeries or imaging. Anticipates needs of insurance companies by gathering all necessary information for referrals and prior authorizations.
- Researches hospital medical records for information requested by physicians, insurance companies and attorneys.
- Provides oversight and attends clinics with the provider.
- Schedules imaging and obtains authorizations for patients requiring immediate, 3 month, 1 yr. and 2 yr. follow up.Tracks patients imaging over time to ensure prompt scheduling and follow up.Coordinate follow up appointments with multiple providers.
- Provide coverage during staff shortages in other Neurosurgery offices, back up in call center when required.
- Exhibits URMC ICARE values while demonstrating excellent customer service.
- Responsible for tracking of inpatient and surgical billing; assisting providers with CPT and ICD10 coding if required.
- In coordination with surgical scheduler and in role as back up surgical scheduler, decides the order of daily surgeries and ambulatory procedures for provider based upon patient’s medical conditions, severity and obtains necessary surgical authorizations.
- Negotiates surgical/procedure schedule by communicating complex details directly to the Operating Room scheduling office and Ambulatory Surgical Center Staff.Using independent judgement authorizes overbooking and rearranging of surgeons Operating Room schedules based on case complexity and medical urgency.Authorizes rescheduling when cancellations occur by applying protocols for surgical scheduling.
- Orders all necessary surgical/procedure equipment and devices based on application of protocols needed to conduct the surgery/procedure. Follows up to confirm that order is fulfilled and ready for surgery/procedure. Employs multiple contingency strategies to ensure all details, materials and locations are ready for surgery/procedures as scheduled.
- Based on the nature of the surgery/procedure, varies patient education and follow up details accordingly in relation to pre-operative readiness and post-operative rehabilitation expectations and activities. Is accountable for completeness of all relevant information from pre-op testing and evaluations for review by the anesthesiologist and the Operating Room.
- Assembles, from multiple tabs within the electronic medical record, the necessary details, for review and inclusion when completing disability paperwork.
- Assesses calls to understand patient needs, prioritizes medical concerns and obtains responses from providers and follows up with patient.
- Serves as main point of contact for patients’ pre and post-operative.
- Obtains necessary referrals for patients to outside agencies and assists patients with appointment scheduling.
- Assist in onboarding of new staff members in the Department of Neurosurgery, including introduction to staff outside of department.
- Special projects and other related duties as assigned.
Associate’s degree in Medical, Secretarial or related field and a minimum of three years of relevant experience required; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Medical Terminology, experiences with surgical/appointment scheduling software (such as Flowcast), and electronic medical records, preferred. Demonstrated customer relations skills.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Physician Support Spec
Location: Medical Faculty Group
Job ID: 210160
Full/Part Time: Full-Time