University of Rochester Pharmacy Technician-Medication History Technician in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 089 Pharmacy SMH
VARIES; AS DETERMINED BY DEPARTMENT; WKENDS/HOL
General Job Description:
This pharmacy technician provides specialized support in assisting with the medication history process by interviewing patients and/or family members and contacting pharmacies, physician offices, nursing home staff, and using other available resources to obtain an accurate medication and allergy history. This best possible medication list obtained will be used to update the electronic medical record and used by healthcare providers in the performance of medication reconciliation throughout the continuum of care. In addition, the position will require serving as a resource for the pharmacist, nurses, physicians, and patients and families under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist. The technician will communicate pertinent information (i.e. medication that need to be clarified with the physician and/or other healthcare provider) to a licensed pharmacist. Under supervision of a licensed pharmacist, and consistent with state, federal and local regulations, coordinates and performs as necessary, technical functions of a pharmacy technician.
Obtaining Best Possible Medication List (BPML)
- Manage and prioritize targeted patient group for admission BPML to facilitate medication reconciliation.
- Obtain and clarify patients’ preadmission medication lists using Best Possible Medication History tools in a timely manner.
- Interview patients and/or family member to confirm list.
- Contact pharmacies, physicians’ offices, long-term care facilities, or other sources of documentation as needed.
- Accurately collect list of all prescription and OTC medications, including formulations, dosing instructions, recent fill dates and quantities where applicable.
- Review and update patient allergies and reaction to each allergen with verification by a licensed pharmacist.
- Document BPML, including updates and discontinuations, by accurately entering all available medication-related data in the electronic health record to be reviewed by a licensed pharmacist.
Communicating Discrepancies in BPML
- Identify and communicate to pharmacists and/or providers discrepancies gathered from obtaining the BPML.
- Work to resolve discrepancies by clarifying with patient, families, pharmacies and prescribers and communicates clarifications to pharmacist.
Service Requests for Review
- Respond to requests from nurses, providers and other health care professionals to manage and follow up on medication history information needs in collaboration with a licensed pharmacist.
- Appropriately direct, triage or communicate all out of scope questions to appropriate personnel.
- Mentor and assist in training technicians, students and residents in all aspects of medication history collection and documentation as BPML when necessary.
- Provide feedback to technician supervisor/preceptor on technician/student performance as it relates to obtaining and documentation BPML.
- Demonstrate knowledge of medications (brand and generic names) and their use, dose, and route of administration. Demonstrate knowledge of high-alert medications.
- Demonstrate ability to use pharmacy references such as Lexi-Comp.
- Complete and document initial training course and required periodic updates or continuing education.
- Assist in the development and completion of medication reconciliation projects that optimize efficiency and improve patient safety.
- Assist in the monitoring outcomes of medication reconciliation process and reporting to appropriate pharmacy personnel or committees, documenting activities as requested.
- Propose solutions to problems identified in workflows or daily activities.
Additional duties as required.
- High school education; including at least one of the following.Certified Pharmacy technician, successful completion of a formal technician training program, three or more year’s pharmacy experience, five or more year’s healthcare related experience, associates or bachelor’s degree or 5 years’ experience in a science or business or enrolled in an accredited pharmacy school. Detail-oriented; computer literate; math aptitude including a basic understanding of units of measure; ability to work as part of a team; prioritization capabilities, and exceptional communication and customer service skills.Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) certification required within twelve months of entering into position.Previous experience with pharmacy applications a plus.
- Meets or exceeds the minimum requirements of all levels of the Technician Career Ladder up to Specialist.
- Ability to work as a team member or independently. Independent thinking and decision-making skills a must.
- Certification by Pharmacy Technician Certification Board. Must meet ongoing education requirements to maintain certification.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Prefer minimum of 3 years of experience in hospital or ambulatory pharmacy.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite products (Excel, Word, SharePoint, Access).
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Pharmacy Technician-Medication History Technician
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 204892
Full/Part Time: Full-Time