University of Rochester Pharmacy Intern in Rochester, New York
Time as Reported Grade 092 Pharmacy SMH
DAYS AND EVENINGS; WKENDS/HOL
Under the direction supervision of a registered pharmacist, a pharmacy intern with a valid NYS intern permit may perform the functions of a pharmacist. These functions include preparing, compounding, and dispensing prescriptions and medications for patients of SMH (Neonate, Pediatric, Adult, Geriatric) in accordance with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations for Pharmacy practice. Typical Duties (under the supervision of a registered pharmacist) include.
- Reads and follows departmental and hospital policy and procedures related to dispensing of medications. Dispenses medications without error and resolves problem medication orders appropriately and in a timely manner. Checks all products prior to dispensing as required.
- Processes medication orders utilizing current information system technology to create and maintain patient profiles.
- Participates in Drug Use Evaluations when appropriate. Documents clinical activities and interventions on a regular basis. Directs work of technicians to ensure appropriate workflow as required.
- Verbal communication to all hospital staff is conducted in an effective and professional manner.
- Participates in departmental Q/A processes such as Robot random checks, reporting medication incidents, reconciling MARs, etc.
- Develops or participates in a clinical practice by rounding with physicians, nurses, and other health care professionals on patient care units.
- Monitors assigned patient populations for clinical progress including renal/hepatic function, culture results, and other applicable laboratory tests. Recommends adjustments to therapy as necessary.
- Presents in-services to other Pharmacy staff and healthcare professionals and participates in preparation of articles for newsletters.
- Identifies need for patient teaching and performs such tasks when necessary. Monitors patients on assigned units to optimize medication therapy.
- Contacts supervisor for assistance when solution is beyond his/her expertise or authority.
- Thoroughly resolves problems with appropriate communication to all pertinent staff in a clear and concise manner.
- Ambitious about identifying patient care problems and does not pass on problems to the next shift without exhausting reasonable attempts at resolution and communicating progress.
Matriculated pharmacy student in an ACPE-accredited school of pharmacy, or has been awarded a degree in pharmacy (BS or Pharm.D.) from an ACPE-accredited school of pharmacy. Foreign graduates must have received a determination of equivalent training and education accepted by the NYS Board of Pharmacy. The candidate must also possess a valid NYS Pharmacy Intern permit. Position requires excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and independent judgment and decision making.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Pharmacy Intern
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 212851
Full/Part Time: TAR