University of Rochester Pacer/Device Technologist IV in Rochester, New York
Full Time 36 hours Grade 094 Heart Station SMH
8 AM-5 PM
This position directly supports the electrophysiology service of Cardiology by providing remote/telephone monitoring of patients who have implanted devices such as Pacemakers and/or implantable defibrillators. The job involves teaching patients how to use a remote monitor following their implant surgery. Once the ECG data is obtained the technician must analyze it for proper device function. The accurate interpretation of this data requires in depth knowledge of pacemaker/defibrillator function, a highly complex and ever changing technology. Independent judgment is critical. The written interpretation is submitted to the MD for final approval and signature.
Remote Monitoring for pacemakers and implanted loop recorders
- Set up new pacemaker patients for telephone monitoring:
- Obtain new implant information and enter appropriate patient data into electronic database or record. Schedule first call.
- Interpret and send preliminary report to provider.
- Teach off-site patients how to use the monitor over the telephone.
- Enter appropriate patient data into electronic database or record
- Teach patients in clinic how to use the monitor/explain the service. Schedule first call.
Facilitate the actual telephone pacemaker test:
- Contact the patient at the appointed date/time
- Complete the telephone test using the GEMS program, interpret and edit the test report. Requires extensive knowledge of pacemaker function/abnormalities.
- Schedule the patients for their next appointment.
- Follow up on abnormal test findings and battery depletions
- Reschedule patients that miss their appointments and document non-compliance in the medical record.
- Complete quarterly reports from several pacemaker companies (NYS law for device tracking).
Cardiac Event Monitor duties:
- Schedule patient appointments. Manage the patient waiting list and contact patients when machine is available
- Teach patients how to use the monitor in clinic
- Complete the telephone test using the GEMS program, interpret and edit the test report. Requires extensive knowledge of cardiac arrhythmias.
- Complete all paperwork required for billing, and submit to billing office
- Process/clean monitors that are retuned
Implantable Defibrillator (ICD) duties:
- Set up new ICD patients for remote service monitoring
- Obtain new pacer implant information from Pronto and complete chart with clinical data.
- Collect remote data:
- Download data collected by remote service into electronic database, track pateint compliance and follow up with pateint regarding missed appointment.
AA or BS degree in medical related field, plus 2 years’ experience in a direct patient care related position, preferably Cardiology, or equivalent combination of education, on the job training and experience. Excellent word processing and computer skills necessary.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Pacer/Device Technologist IV
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 209796
Full/Part Time: Full-Time