University of Rochester Outpatient Access Specialist in Rochester, New York
Part Time 18 hours Grade 007 CVSL Outpatient ACG & CC
The position serves the Cardiology Unit patient population and referring physicians, combining reception/registration/scheduling duties at URMC Cardiology at Clinton Crossings reporting to the Office Manager and Nurse Leader. The position is the ‘face’ of the Division’s hospital and private practice activities. The candidate must present an image that deserves respect and obtains required cooperation from providers, patients and referring physicians. The candidate must possess excellent communication skills and exercise independent judgment and initiative in registering, scheduling and communicating with patients. The position requires attention to detail - the ability to prioritize tasks, to type accurately, and be familiar with and comfortable working with computers. The candidate must be able to work independently, and perform routine and non-routine clerical duties of a specialized nature in an extremely busy environment.
Greet, register and verify patients and information for a busy consultant practice.
- Greet patients reporting for clinical visits and procedures.In a confidential and professional manner, confirm demographic and insurance information for entry into hospital wide computerized registration software system, Epic.Evaluate acquired information for completeness and accuracy.Provide HIPPA confidentiality policy notice to patients, obtain documentation signature.Coordinate and review data with billing staff to insure data is sufficient for their needs.
- Collect encounter forms from patients exiting clinic.Check for completeness and accuracy; communicate any discrepancies back to provider for clarification.Schedule procedures, follow-up appointments and ancillary tests with input from physicians and other health care personnel.This requires the ability to evaluate medical information provided, and to clarify information as needed for other areas.Collect co-pays as needed, maintain receipt information, cash pick-up and delivery daily.Provide patients and health care personnel with procedure descriptions and special instructions as necessary.Must possess the ability to provide answers to questions asked by patients, and to determine which questions should appropriately be addressed by physicians or other health care providers.
- Evaluate patient's concerns and refer to physicians or other health care personnel.Respond to callers independently, and follow-up to be sure all requests are handled in a timely fashion.
- Using knowledge of complicated and ever-changing physician schedules enter appointments into EPIC computer system for each of theproviders. Requires determination of physician availability, and evaluation of patients who are not referred to a specific individual.
- Gather pertinent medical information and accurate billing information at the time of scheduling (from patient, referring physician and other health care professionals).Must project professional image to allow collection of accurate and complete medical information, while maintaining patient confidentiality issues.
- Communicate medical information to patients, and messages to other callers as directed by physicians, nurses and administrative staff.
Schedule/Billing Confirmation and Generation of Reports
- Review all provider schedules in advance of clinic date to verify accuracy. Rectify any errors that may have occurred.
- Create updated schedules on a daily basis to reflect add-ons and walk-ins.Communicate schedule changes to secretaries, physicians and off-site service areas as necessary.
- Collection of copayments from patients
- End of day processing of billing activities.
Cross Coverage and other duties as assigned.
High School diploma and 2.5 years related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Medical terminology experience preferred. Demonstrated ability to word process documents and enter data into a database. Demonstrated skills related to achievement of customer satisfaction. Demonstrates the ICARE values to patient, families and staff. Ability to act as a resource to less experienced staff.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Outpatient Access Specialist
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 208881
Full/Part Time: Part-Time