University of Rochester Outpatient Access Specialist in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 007 OPD Pediatrics
8 AM-4:30 PM
Providing high degree of customer service and clerical support to large Pediatric Practice and coordinates functions associated with patient information processing for ambulatory care visits. Acts as a resource to faculty and staff. Outpatient Access Specialist works closely with other Outpatient Access Specialists and associated medical providers processing approximately 16,000 patient visits annually. Monitors and ensures that all functions are completed in an accurate, efficient and customer friendly manner.
- Schedules new and follow up appointments for multiple clinics and providers using Epic/eRecord. Monitors schedules, identifies, resolves and reports problems.
- Coordinates appointments for ancillary testing, procedures or referrals to other clinic sites, follows up on missed appointments and cancellations, completes any correspondence or forms involved with appointment scheduling, schedules interpreters, schedules outside services to meet patient’s needs (e.g., transportation), ensures patient satisfaction with visit prior to discharge from the Department.
- Identifies and proposes efficiencies for streamlining clinics and scheduling and patient flow.
- Greets patients to initiate positive ambulatory experience, identifies healthcare provider to be seen, directs patients to next destination, obtain signatures as needed, identifies and assesses patients’ special needs (e.g., interpreters).
- Provide constant vigilance of waiting area ensuring no patient waits unduly long providing communication between Control Desk and the patient if there is a delay to patient’s appointment time. Hand out patient satisfaction surveys twice monthly and facilitate in keeping waiting area and restrooms clean.
- Provide accurate registration collect patient demographic and financial information of patient arrivals in Epic/eRecord in an efficient, customer-oriented manner. Confirming patient insurance and demographic information following protocol for updating Epic/eRecord information, distributing questionnaires when appropriate and collect co-payments following protocol for the collection of co-payments.
- Monitors registration errors, completes missing registration data, reconciles and ensures accuracy of patient information to ensure reduction in billing rejections. Identifies ways to reduce follow-up, repetitive, or corrective work.
- Using Epic/eRecord print daily schedules and complete patient packets. Organizes in respective folder. Notify Control Desk of all infection controlled flagged patients scheduled for the day. Stock clipboards with appropriate questionnaires.
- Serves as a focal point for handling patient issues and serves as front-line problem solver.
- Responsible for courteous and efficient telephone communications. Manages incoming clinic calls, triages calls to medical staff when appropriate. Coordinates outgoing calls.
Insurance Verification & Insurance Authorization, Electronic Verification
- Use real time eligibility (RTE) verification systems to accurately verify insurance information for future patient appointments at least one week prior to appointment.
- Follow Epic/eRecord protocols to update insurances and certify verification.
- Reconciles daily cash drawer at the end of the day to ensure a balanced cash drawer. Identifies and resolves discrepancies.
Provides support for unit activities including monitoring supplies, and escorting patients.
- Trains new staff; reviews competency, identifies areas of concern and proposes resolution to Clinical Practice Manager or Administrator; directs work until staff meet requirements.
Provides cross coverage for other staff members on the unit.
Other Clerical Duties
Performs miscellaneous tasks as assigned by the Clinical Practice Manager such as medical records management and special projects.
High School diploma and 2.5 years related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Medical terminology experience preferred. Demonstrated ability to word process documents and enter data into a database. Demonstrated skills related to achievement of customer satisfaction. Ability to act as a resource to less experienced staff.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Outpatient Access Specialist
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 209600
Full/Part Time: Full-Time