University of Rochester Medical Technologist II in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 094 Automated Lab
Performs complex technical assignments which are broadly outlined, require theoretical insight and interpretation, and allow latitude for planning and modifying methods and techniques. Exercises a high degree of skill and judgment, and an understanding of the principles and methodology of a technical field.
- Assignments and responsibilities MAY consist of 1 or more of the following in a service clinical laboratory:
- Performs unusually delicate and problematic biological, chemical and/or physical analyses which may include gas chromatography, amino acid analysis, agarose electrophoresis, nuclear magnetic resonance, radioimmuno assay and special radiologic techniques.
- Performs life science procedures (histologic, bacteriologic, serologic, etc.) requiring exacting skills and assists in development and standardization of new techniques and procedures.
- Performs special and complex procedures on patients requiring in depth knowledge, understanding and special skills.
- Performs electron microscopy, including preparative procedures. Operates electron microscope and takes and develops photomicrographs.
- Plans and drafts details of equipment given fundamental scientific or engineering dimensions and specification. Fabricates experimental or prototype equipment, components, probes and the like, to meet scientific requirements. Calibrates equipment and instruments.
- Performs developmental research assignments or special projects requiring some theoretical insight. Interprets empirical data and prepares reports of results obtained. Compiles and computes engineering or scientific data and prepares reports, specifications, designs, etc. Abstracts pertinent information from technical literature. Performs computer programming incidental to data acquisition and data reduction.
- Performs other related tasks. For example, may maintain test equipment, prepare artist sketches or mechanical drawings, perform special studies, oversee supplies and equipment, operate computer entry terminals, care for work area and the like.
- Involved in patient care functions affecting the well being, comfort and safety of patients. May communicate with medical staff in regard to studies being performed on individual patients.
- Contributes to keeping the laboratory orderly and clean to assure a safe work environment and the highest quality of work performance.
A 4 year college education, including related laboratory and/or technical training with certification by the registry of the American Society of Clinical Pathologists, or other nationally recognized professional certifying body; or a 4 year college education in an appropriate science and 2 years of closely related laboratory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Medical Technologist II
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 212431
Full/Part Time: Full-Time