University of Rochester Medical Technologist II in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 094 Flow/Bone Marrow Lab
Under the direction of Med Technologist Specialist, Supervisor/Director and with the ability to work independently, provides specialized testing and support for the laboratory section. The Technologist performs complex technical assignments, which are broadly outlined and require theoretical insight and interpretation. (S)he exercises a high degree of skill and judgement and an understanding of the principles and methodologies of flow cytometry and bone marrow collection and processing. (S)he is also responsible for instrument maintenance/standardization, daily quality control and adherence to all laboratory and policies.
- Processes bone marrow, blood, tissues, fluids etc. for flow cytometric analysis. Assists in preparation of bone marrow and/or peripheral blood specimens for pathologist/physician review: this may also include assistance at the patient bedside and/or clinical contact with patients.
- Communicates to Technologist Specialist, Supervisor/Director on issues concerning sample integrity, labeling, and processing problems and policies.
- Provides educational support and specialized training within the laboratory section.
- Performs and documents instrument preventative maintenance as scheduled or as needed.
- Performs and documents instrument troubleshooting as needed.
- Report results of patient sample analysis using computer/instrument interface options (i.e. worksheets etc.)
- Adheres to quality control quality assurance protocols.
- Other responsibilities and projects as assigned.
A 4 year college education, including related laboratory and/or technical training with certification by the registry of the American Society of Clinical Pathologists, or other nationally recognized professional certifying body; or a 4 year college education in an appropriate science and 2 years of closely related laboratory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
MT(ASCP) certification desired. Must be NYS Licensed or eligible for NYS licensure.
Punctuality and good attendance record. Adherence to all University, Division and Department policies. Professional discretion with confidential patient results. Adherence to all laboratory safety procedures. Participates in continuing education. Weekends, holidays and on-call on rotation.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Medical Technologist II
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 209055
Full/Part Time: Full-Time