University of Rochester Medical Technologist II in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 094 Regional Toxicology
The Technologist is responsible for timely and accurate test analysis using complex methods and/or instrumentation. Reporting of results is often interpretive in nature. The Technologist needs to show the ability to think and work independently because of the complexities and interpretations of the assignments. Working independently includes knowing when to reject work, repeat analysis, complete work in a timely manner, and know when to consult with Supervisor or Supervisor designee. The Technologist needs to demonstrate continual building of knowledge in regards to testing and interpretation of Tox analysis. He/She is also responsible for instrument maintenance, troubleshooting, daily quality control and adherence to all laboratory policies. Due to the nature of the testing done by Toxicology (i.e. forensic, transplant), the department strives for a zero error rate.
- Analyzes patient samples using current, complex laboratory methods and/or instrumentation.
- Adheres to quality control and quality assurance protocols.
- Reports results of patient sample analysis using computer/instrument interface options.
- Prepares reagents needed for analysis and follows the protocol for validation.
- Cleans dishware, pipettes, laboratory, and answer telephone inquiries as needed.
- Participates in training of other technologists and is available to help other technologists with questions or excess work.
- Performs instrument preventative maintenance as scheduled or needed.
- Performs method/instrument troubleshooting as needed.
- Performs extra duties as necessary such as inventory, file paperwork, etc.
BS in Medical Technology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Biology with at least 1 year of relevant clinical laboratory experience. Or, an AAS with a total of 90 credit hours (per NYS distribution requirements) and at least 1 year of relevant clinical laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be NYS Licensed or eligible for NYS Licensure. Preferred experience/education in toxicology, analytical analyzers/analysis, and chemistry.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Medical Technologist II
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 209674
Full/Part Time: Full-Time