University of Rochester Medical Technologist II in Rochester, New York
Time as Reported Grade 000 Dept Desc
With a high degree of skill, judgment and understanding of the principles and methodologies of histotechnology and related areas of surgical pathology, assist in the training of staff and residents in the preparation of tissue specimens for microscopic examination to include tissue processing, paraffin and plastic embedding, cutting and staining of fixed and frozen tissue. Coordinate laboratory activities related to the production of slides and control tissue for immunocytochemistry and research projects. May perform the duties of the immunofluorescence and electron microscopy technician.
- Under the direction of the Histopathology Laboratory Supervisor, train new staff and residents in all aspects of the preparation of tissue specimens for microscopic examination. Stays abreast of new procedures and laboratory techniques by participating in continuing education opportunities and re-trains when appropriate.
- Depending on the rotation assigned, technologists will process, embed, section (cut), stain and cover glass a variety of surgical and autopsy material.
- Under the supervision of the Gross Room Supervisor/Pathologist's Assistants, assist with grossing in small specimens.
- Under the direction of the Histopathology Laboratory Assistant Supervisor performs complex preventive maintenance on laboratory instrumentation including cryostats, tissue processors and embedding centers.
- Assists in the planning of the daily and weekly staff schedule.
- Coordinates laboratory efforts for research projects.
- Performs immunoflorescence of frozen sections of skin, oral and kidney biopsies as needed. Acts as back-up for the immunofluorescence and electron microscopy technician as needed.
- With the Histopathology Laboratory Assistant Supervisor, enforces safety and environmental quality assurance protocols in the Laboratory.
- Performs other duties as required.
The individual must be proficient in all aspects of histology laboratory practice, a team player with good organizational and communication skills.
AAS degree in a biological science plus 3-5 years experience in a histology laboratory or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Prefer Bachelor's degree. HT ASCP Board Certification. Must be NYS Licensed or eligible for NYS licensure.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Medical Technologist II
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 211212
Full/Part Time: Full-Time