University of Rochester Medical Technologist I in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 094 Blood Bank-Clin Labs SMH
3 PM-11:30 PM
The Blood Bank Technologist accurately performs, interprets and carefully documents all technical Blood Bank procedures necessary for the appropriate and safe transfusion therapy of all patients. These duties include: serologic testing; component preparation and issue; computer documentation of work; quality control; and preventative maintenance of equipment. The technologist generally works independently, organizing work to meet patient work load. The Blood Bank technologist maintains job competence through in -house and other available continuing education. The position also requires effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Perform and interpret routine Blood Bank tests, including ABO/Rh typing, direct and indirect antiglobulin tests, crossmatches, transfusion reaction workups, fetal screen and Kleihauer-Betke stains
- Perform circulator duties to include logging in of specimens, checking patient computer files, prioritizing and triaging work, component preparation, component issue, answering phones, and other miscellaneous tasks.
- Blood product processing and manipulation: rejuvenation, freezing, deglycerolizing, washing, pooling, thawing including completion of corresponding paperwork
- Perform daily reagent quality control (E) and participate in equipment quality control and preventative maintenance
- Perform antibody identifications by using routine antibody panels and reference procedures including the use of enzymes, synsorbs, absorptions/elutions, antibody titrations, antigen screening and other specialized tests.
- Perform irradiation of blood products
- Perform retypes on units received from other facilities, process and input products into inventory, monitor inventory levels for appropriateness and order additional products if necessary
- Participate in stocking supplies, cleaning general lab areas, and answer phones when designated individual is unable
- Participate in other duties as assigned
A 4 year college education, including related laboratory and/or technical training with certification by the registry of the American Society of Clinical Pathologists, or other nationally recognized professional certifying body; or a 4 year college education in an appropriate science and 2 years of closely related laboratory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. NYS licensure or eligibility for NYS licensure.
BSMT degree, or BS degree and one year experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. ASCP certification, good interpersonal communication skills
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Medical Technologist I
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 209610
Full/Part Time: Full-Time