University of Rochester Medical Lab Technician II in Rochester, New York
Time as Reported Grade 092 Histopathology
Perform a diversity of technical assignments which require some theoretical insight, complex skill, judgment and the knowledge of the principal and methods of histotechnology. Preparation of tissue specimens for microscopic examination. The activity "cutting" which means using a microtome to produce thin sections of paraffin embedded tissue, which is placed on glass slides, stained using different methods and cover glassed. Lab personnel cover a minimum of six different rotations. Report times may vary based on work volume.
Typical Assignments and Responsibilities:
- Depending on the rotation assigned, technicians will process, embed, section (cut), stain and cover glass a variety of surgical and autopsy material. NOTE: Assignment #1 encompasses the duties detailedin #2-6.
- When on Sign Out rotation will unload tissue processor, embed tissue cassettes, stain and cover glass rush, priority and routine slides. Check slides for quality and maintain cover slipper machine. Maintain daily statistics and clean embedding molds.
- When assigned to Embeddingrotation will unload tissue processor, embed blocks, maintain stainer and prepare staining solutions. Will maintain embedding centers including documenting temperatures. Will assist in signing out slides
- When on Autopsy rotation will do the duties described above for the autopsy service.
- When assigned to Re-cut rotation will retrieve electronic and handwritten requests for slide re-cuts and perform appropriate protocol for re-cutting tissue blocks. Maintains record for re-cuts including electronic log.
- When assigned to Special Stainsrotation will assist with performing the appropriate protocols for creating special stains, delivering these to the attending pathologists.
- Technicians holding a BS degree with documented competency may, under the direction of the gross room supervisor or Pathologist's Assistant, assist with the grossing in of small specimens.
- Load VIP tissue processors.
Perform other duties as required.
Requires AAS in laboratory Science plus technical training in histotechnology or equivalent combination of education and experience. ASCP Certified in histotechnology preferred or obtained within 2-3 years of employment. Must be NYS Licensed as Medical Lab Technician.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Medical Lab Technician II
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 205660
Full/Part Time: TAR