University of Rochester Marketing Assistant in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 051 Dean's Office Col-Admin
8 AM-5 PM
Open Letter Books is seeking a creative, organized, and dynamic Marketing Assistant to work closely with the Publisher on marketing campaigns for all of the press’s titles, along with marketing the press’s brand as a whole. This will include creating press releases, developing marketing plans, working directly with booksellers and book reviewers, crafting weekly newsletters, running the press’s social media platforms, along with other marketing-related tasks. The role requires an incredibly detail-oriented, creative professional capable of strategic thinking and the ability to multitask.
Brainstorm, develop, and implement marketing campaigns for the press’s titles and relevant events;
Present the ten annual titles to book review editors and freelance reviewers;
Cultivate relationships with booksellers across the country;
Travel on occasion to meet with booksellers and reviewers, or to attend select trade shows;
Produce a weekly newsletter for readers, booksellers, reviewers, and librarians;
Assist in maintaining the press’s social media presence;
Write press releases for all of the books and other newsworthy events;
Assist in organizing author tours when appropriate;
Help with organizing annual Open Letter gala and other promotional events for the press as a whole;
Ensure that all books are submitted for any and all available prizes and awards;
Add marketing materials to CoreSource and digital review copies to Edelweiss for all of press’s books;
Help in writing jacket copy and other promotional copy, and evaluating potential cover designs;
Assist in supervising summer marketing interns;
Other marketing-related tasks that arise as part of normal publishing activities.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism or an area of Arts and Sciences that includes some writing experience; one year of experience in newspaper or magazine writing, either in broad subject areas or in a specialized field (physical sciences, social sciences, etc.); or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prefer 2+ years of publishing or bookselling experience, with bookstore and nonprofit publishing experience preferred;
- Experience with and understanding of general book marketing ideas and trends;
- Excellent writing skills, including ability to write in a voice that will appeal to Open Letter’s fan base;
- Comfortable presenting in front of large groups and networking with other industry professionals;
- Ability to multi-task and complete all projects on deadline;
- Appreciation and knowledge of contemporary trends in publishing and book culture is extremely helpful;
- Flexibility in taking on new tasks and reprioritizing in a fast and efficient manner is a must;
- Knowledge of Open Letter’s past publications, mission, and position in larger publishing world is required;
- General interest in international literature and translation preferred.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Marketing Assistant
Location: The College
Job ID: 207706
Full/Part Time: Full-Time