University of Rochester Manager of Patient and Family Relations in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 000 Dept Desc
Patient and Family Relations is a key department in the delivery of Patient and Family Centered Care as put forth in the UR Medicine’s mission statement. The patient and Family Relations department addresses complaints and grievances at the earliest possible opportunity and work with staff to seek resolution. Visits are provided to the on-campus units to meet with the dissatisfied patient and family. Referrals are taken from providers, nurses, social workers and other members of the health care team as well as patients and families when service recovery attempts have failed.
- Gives professional attention to the relations between patients/patient families and Strong Memorial Hospital staff, counseling both in order to assure the former of timely and appropriate response to their concerns, and to benefit the latter through a sensitive interpretation of patient/family needs and feelings.
- Directly supervises the Patient Relations Representatives in the performance of their duties.
- Under general direction and with latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and self-directed action: Assists in the development of systems that encourage patients/patient families to express their concerns and that emphasize the obligation for initial response by the staff directly caring for patients. In those issues which escalate past the point of origin, assist both patients/families and staff to identify their primary concerns, deal with their anger and help them arrive at a mutual resolution that is just and clinically appropriate.
- Establishes data collection and maintains documentation of issues. Produces reports for administration to track and trend chronic issues.
- Responds immediately to all complainants who go directly to the Directors' Office either dealing with them personally or making appropriate referral. Establishes special long-term relationships with patients/families and staff having unique or chronic problems, especially in patient matters in which there is liability potential.
- Is knowledgeable about the "Patients’ Rights" section of the New York State Hospital Code and with that of the Joint Commission of Accreditation of Hospitals, and monitors institutional compliance.
- Identifies potential liability cases and, after initial investigation, prepares a case summary for legal staff; at the discretion of legal staff, may continue as the primary contact, since many complainants will not take legal initiatives if their concerns are listened to carefully.
- Exercise independent judgment and authority in dealing with hospital finance questions and may waive certain charges when there is an overriding therapeutic or service recovery need.
- Reviews patient comment forms and assures that positive feedback gets to appropriate department heads and line staff, and that negative feedback is documented for subsequent review and follow-up. Periodically makes rounds in all areas of the hospital to provide opportunities for interactions with patients/patient families and staff and for observing condition of facilities used by patients and their families.
- Receives information about losses of patient belongings; works with staff to assure a thorough search; evaluates from incident reports and other data the degree of institutional responsibility for a loss and the appropriateness of reimbursement; makes recommendations for reimbursement or replacement. Assures that with each loss, whether reimbursed or not, there is preventive follow-up in the area involved.
A caring and empathetic manner and the ability to establish rapport with patients, families, and staff. Candidate demonstrates excellent customer service skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, PowerPoint, and other proprietary programs as needed are essential. 4 to 5 years of relevant work experience including substantial work at a managerial level, preferably in an educational institution; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Manager of Patient and Family Relations
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 212868
Full/Part Time: Full-Time