University of Rochester Laboratory Technician IV in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 079 LLE Engg-Engineering
8:30 AM-5:30 PM
The Laboratory is seeking an entry level position working in a class 100 cleanroom, working on state-of-the-art research in thin film coatings, and responsible for high precision cleaning of large optics and inspection prior to coating. Candidate will participate in development of cleaning methods for glass and hydroscopic optics, sol-gel coatings, and structured thin films and assist in the maintenance of optics on the OMEGA laser system to prevent costly damage to system components. Ability to manipulate heavy mechanisms and glass substrates required.
The Laboratory Technician reports to the Cleanroom Operations Supervisor in the Optical Manufacturing Group and duties include the following:
- Cleaning and preparation of substrates prior to the deposition or assembly process
- Inspection and quality assurance of incoming glass substrates and optical coatings.
- Cleaning and handling hydroscopic materials.
- Maintenance of a class 100 cleanroom and equipment for optical cleaning.
- Sol-gel coating of optical substrates by spin-coat and dip methods.
- Chemical stripping of various materials (e.g. photoresist, dielectric films) from large substrates. Work is done in a fume hood.
- Maintain records on the condition of each optic and document all process information.
- Assembly of optical substrates into various holders and mounts.
- Data entry and operating custom software on a windows based computer.
- Troubleshoot malfunctioning equipment and make simple repairs.
The candidate will have an AAS degree in optics or physics, plus 4-5 years specialized experience in related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prefer one year experience in optical fabrication and/or thin films or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Familiarity with any of the following technical aspects is a plus.
- Cleanroom gowning protocols and contamination control procedures.
- Surface inspection and characterization techniques. (e.g. scratch/dig, cleanliness)
- Mechanical assembly processes using hand-held tools.
The position will require the ability to manipulate heavy mechanisms and glass substrates. A willingness to interact with fellow technicians, research scientists, students, and vendors with a friendly and professional attitude is essential for carrying out the duties of this job.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Laboratory Technician IV
Location: Laser Lab & COI
Job ID: 209881
Full/Part Time: Full-Time