University of Rochester Laboratory Technician IV (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 079 Functional Genomics
8:30 AM-5 PM; OCCAS WEEKENDS/HOLS
This position is for technical support in the University of Rochester Genomics Research Center (GRC), a university shared resource laboratory. Work semiindependently in a highly team-oriented environment using techniques in molecular biology, including isolation of DNA and RNA from human samples, DNA and RNA analysis, PCR, highthroughput sample processing, and next generation sequencing.
- Executes moderately complex experiments, which include next generation sequencing and qPCR for customers of the GRC.
- Extraction of nucleic acids, execution and purification of reactions, and preparation and maintenance of sequencing reagent stocks.
- Analyzes and evaluates experimental data and interprets results within the scope of the GRC and prepares reports for the Pl and members of upper management of the SMD.
- Supervises staff who maintain lab supply inventories, perform routine laboratory instrument maintenance, autoclave items, clean and store glassware, keep records for hazardous waste disposal, following general laboratory health and safety regulations.
- Interacts with the core customers both internal and external to the university to inform customers of services, pricing and order status. Independently makes decisions on what samples will be used and how many of each. Offer assistance with troubleshooting difficult samples.
- Maintains contact with outside research laboratories, vendors and technical representatives. Must be able to respond knowledgeably to questions about practices and procedures and make recommendations to other cores and labs. Works with vendors and technical representatives to troubleshoot when necessary. Orients new personnel and visitors to the lab.
- Operates complex scientific equipment. Performs routine maintenance of laboratory equipment such as cleaning and replacing parts and checking for malfunctions. Advises senior technical personnel of issues regarding equipment which may need replacing. Contact outside vendors for repairs as necessary.
Associate's Degree plus 4 or more years experience in a biomedical science and genomics, or equivalent combination of education and experience. A Bachelor's Degree and independent research is highly desirable.
Proficiency in Microsoft office (Excel), strong written and verbal communication skills, and ability to be flexible while maintaining productivity in a dynamic laboratory environment is strongly required. A strong background in molecular biology and genomics is desirable.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Laboratory Technician IV (S)
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 210904
Full/Part Time: Full-Time