University of Rochester Laboratory Technician IV (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 079 Med M&D-Aab; CardiovascResInst
8 AM-4:30 PM
This position as Lab Manager/Laboratory Tech IV will perform multiple duties in support of a laboratory studying cardiovascular disease in the background of RNA biology at the molecular, cellular, and organismal levels. Primary duties will include the performance of laboratory experiments in molecular biology, cell culture, and histology resulting in data that will be used in scientific manuscripts and grant applications. Animal experience is preferred. This position will also be responsible for the orientation and training of new lab members in experimental technique and safety education.
- Perform molecular biology experiments, including isolation of protein, DNA and RNA from cells or tissues for gel electrophoresis (Western blot) and RT-PCR; immunoprecipitation assays; reporter gene assays (luciferase). Analyze and document results.
- Perform cell culture experiments and maintain stocks of various mammalian cell lines. Refine and troubleshoot techniques as needed to optimize cell harvesting from animals.
- Maintain mouse colony of transgenic and knockout lines, including breeding and genotyping. Will generate data by handling of laboratory animals, including harvesting tissues for histological analysis and isolation of tissues for primary cell culture.
- Perform molecular cloning techniques. Express recombinant proteins for purification.
- Perform lab maintenance tasks including maintenance of laboratory space, preparing buffers and stock solutions, and writing up protocols. Compiles scientific data and maintain lab notebook for all experiments performed and analyze data.Assist the PI with the preparation of manuscripts and grant applications by making figures and editing text.
- Orient, train, and oversee compliance of new lab workers in research techniques and health/safety and animal regulations.As needed, instruct laboratory personnel in appropriate use of equipment and in learning new techniques. Provide oversight regarding compliance issues such as IBC, EH&S;, Fire Safety, and UCAR inspections. Maintain computerized inventory, MSDS, and data sheet records.
- Read research product literature to select and order specialized materials and supplies.Place supply orders in a timely fashion and manage up-to-date inventory of lab chemicals and general supplies. Properly dispose of all hazardous wastes.
Associate's degree in appropriate discipline plus 4-5 years specialized experience in related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Prefer Bachelor’s degree in biology or related field plus 3-4 years specialized experience in biomedical research laboratory or equivalent combination of education and experience. The ability to read, write and communicate in English is required.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Laboratory Technician IV (S)
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 204067
Full/Part Time: Full-Time