University of Rochester Laboratory Technician IV (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 079 Pharmacology & Physiology
8:30 AM-5 PM; OCC WKENDS
Provide research support to the Technical Director of the Confocal and Conventional Microscopy SRL in assisting users of the facility and maintaining microscopes. Training and guidance of new investigators in the proper advanced use of microscopes, experimental design and data analysis will be required. Work will also involve quality control, maintenance and troubleshooting of instruments within the CCMR core, as well as the testing and evaluating of new instrumentation. Additional work will involve validating standard operating procedures and possibly assisting in collaborative projects. The technician will be responsible for scientific record keeping, as well as general lab duties of maintaining inventory, organization and lab maintenance.
- Trains researchers in proper operation of Microscopes
- Quality control, maintenance and troubleshooting of instruments in the CCMR core
- Monitors equipment use
- Develops and validates new instrumentation
Testing and Analysis
- Assists researchers with proper data analysis
- Develops basic data analytical tools using imaging analysis software
- Tests new reagents and protocols for advanced imaging techniques
- Maintains laboratory organization, orders supplies, and routine lab and equipment maintenance
- Associate's degree in appropriate discipline plus 4-5 years specialized experience in related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prefer BS degree in biological sciences, physics or related field plus 2-3 years specialized experience in related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience. MS degree is preferred.
- Experience with scientific research, microscopy and immunohistochemistry is required, advanced imaging experience is desired.
- A strong interest but not necessarily extensive experience in data analysis and image quantification is required. Experience with training, teaching, interacting with people at all levels is desired.
- Candidate must have excellent command of oral and written English language and proficiency with computer systems.Computer skills required include MS Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- Knowledge of specialized imaging software is desirable (ImageJ, Amira, Imaris, etc).
- Interest in data analysis and computing is advantageous.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Laboratory Technician IV (S)
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 207577
Full/Part Time: Full-Time