University of Rochester Laboratory Technician IV (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 079 Ctr Musculoskeletal Research
8 AM-4:30 PM
This is a technical position within the Histology, Biochemistry, and Molecular Imaging (HBMI) Core in the Center for Musculoskeletal Research (CMSR) requiring experience in histology and microscopy. The HBMI core is funded by a P30 grant from NIH/NIAMS to integrate cell and small animal studies with multi-dimensional histologic and molecular imaging to advance our understanding of musculoskeletal disease. The job consists of technical laboratory work related to the preparation, processing, sectioning, and staining of preserved animal and human musculoskeletal tissues for research purposes. Additionally, the technician will be responsible for oversight and training in the use of shared microscopes and imaging systems as well as the development of standard operating protocols (SOPs) for the staining and analysis of musculoskeletal tissues. The candidate will report directly to Dr. Anolik, co-director of the HBMI core, and will interact daily with a diverse group of users that includes principal investigators and independent scientists, post-doctoral fellows, students, and technicians. As such, the position requires an individual with strong organizational and people skills. Candidates will also need a strong background in basic histology, microscopy, and computer skills. The candidate will be expected to participate as a team member in the day-to-day activities in the HBMI core facility, including assistance with tissue preparation, sectioning, routine staining, scheduling and performing digital imaging, data acquisition and analysis, and weekly backup and general microscopy and whole side imaging maintenance. Hours of the position are 9:00am – 5:00pm Monday through Friday (flexible).
- Serving as a contact for the HBMI core users and maintaining the online scheduling calendar to facilitate histology needs of the scientific projects served by the Core
- Keeping usage logs, generating invoices for internal billing, and tissue inventories
- Training, oversight, and maintenance of the Olympus VS120 WSI system and Visiopharm automated histomorphometry software, the OsteoMeasure manual histomorphometry system, and all fluorescence and brightfield microscopes and associated computers within the HBMI Core, including training of students, fellows, and staff on the proper use of these resources and performance of slide scanning as a core service
- Development of algorithms for automated histomorphometry using the Visiopharm software and training of students, fellows, and staff on the use of these applications.
- Managing digital image storage and transfer
- Development of SOPs for immunohistochemistry (IHC), laser-capture microscopy (LCM), and RNA based analysis of musculoskeletal tissues and training of students, fellows, and staff on the use of these protocols.
- Assisting in preparation of tissue specimens including: decalcification, processing (automated paraffin and manual plastic), embedding (paraffin, plastic and frozen) and sectioning (paraffin, decalcified, and undecalcified frozen and plastic-embedded) and performance of routine and special stains on frozen, paraffin and plastic sections
- Assisting in routine maintenance and cleaning of automated processor, automated and manual microtomes, tissue embedding center, and all other Core equipment.
At least 5 years of related experience involving direct assistance to researchers; or equivalent combination, experience, training and education.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Laboratory Technician IV (S)
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 210464
Full/Part Time: Full-Time