University of Rochester Laboratory Technician IV (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 079 Microbiology SMH
Perform complex technical laboratory assignments; may plan/conduct a complete project of limited scope or a portion of a larger and more diverse project. Candidates must be detail-oriented, have a strong work ethic, ability to work independently and as part of a highly-functioning team, and possess strong organizational skills.
- Process environmental samples and Vet samples, plate to appropriate media, and incubate in proper environment while strictly adhering to quality control and quality assurance protocols.
- Read bacterial cultures and perform susceptibility testing on environment and Vet specimens. Perform calculations, input data into LIS, call results to providers as necessary.
- In accordance with broadly-outline objectives, requirements and approaches: inventory and order supplies, prepare media, perform and document quality control of media for the Microbiology Laboratory.
- Perform QC, preventative maintenance, and validations on sophisticated instrumentation.
- Record, compute, and analyze data; prepare reports and make recommendations. Prepare validation data for Quality Assurance file.
- Format protocols and documents, create PowerPoints, schematics, specifications, designs, charts, graphs, tables, illustrations, photographs; may assist in preparation of materials for publications, teaching, and competency testing.
- Complete biohazardous shipping course and assume responsibility for safely packaging specimens and isolates that are being sent to various reference laboratories.
- Receive, accession, triage, and label specimens. Answer and direct phone calls.
- Monitor and record temperature, humidity, and CO2 for all Microbiology rooms, refrigerators, freezers, and incubators.
Associate’s degree in appropriate discipline and 4-5 years of specialized experience in related field. Bachelor’s degree in Biology or related field preferred.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Laboratory Technician IV (S)
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 207784
Full/Part Time: Full-Time