University of Rochester Laboratory Technician III (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 077 Ctr Neuro Ther Disc
8:30 AM-5 PM
Research technician in the laboratory of Dr. Marc W. Halterman in the Center for Neurotherapeutics Discovery performing varied, complex and non-routine duties in studying brain ischemia at the molecular, cellular, and tissue levels. Primary duties will include transgenic colony maintenance, breeding, weaning, collecting tissue biopsies and genotyping, as well as routine sectioning of brain tissue. The results generated will be used in scientific manuscripts and for relevant sponsored research projects.
- Responsible for the specialized animal colony maintenance and documentation: responsible for the reproduction and maintenance of multiple, scientifically discrete transgenic and mutant animal colonies. Maintains complex data bases of mouse colony matings and lineages and reproductive data. Ensures compliance with university and federal laboratory animal and safety regulations. Understands the critical role of the animal care and identification and the importance of his or her individual responsibility for the integrity of various aspects of research projects. Understands the detrimental consequences to research projects and animals that his or her failure to fulfill such responsibilities can entail.
- Genotypes mice using PCR techniques. Verifies colony census and maintains records of DCM procedures. Acts as liaison between Vivarium and lab on animal colony matters.
- Generates and compiles data by handling of laboratory animals, including harvesting tissues for histological processing, brain sectioning, histology, protein analysis, and isolation of tissues for primary cell culture.
- Performs molecular biology protocols, such as PCR, gel electrophoresis, immunohistochemistry, isolation of protein, DNA and RNA from cells or tissues for Western blot, RT-PCR etc. Maintains lab notebook for all experiments performed. Analyzes data.
- Performs lab maintenance tasks including maintenance of laboratory space, preparing buffers and stock solutions, and writing protocols.Maintains inventory and equipment as needed and as directed by laboratory manager.
- Reviews research literature to help design experiments and select and order specialized materials and supplies.
- Associate's degree in appropriate discipline plus 2-3 years specialized experience in related field; bachelor’s degree in biotechnology, biology or related fields and previous work on biomedical research laboratory is preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Laboratory Technician III (S)
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 209629
Full/Part Time: Full-Time