University of Rochester Laboratory Technician III (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 077 Med M&D-Aab; CardiovascResInst
The purpose of this position is to provide technical support to a mid-sized cardiovascular research lab at the Aab Cardiovascular Research Institute. The individual will work on studies which have as their goal the understanding of basic mechanism involved in cardiovascular development, physiology and disease. The lab fosters independence in problem-solving and continuing educational development, which is highly valued in applicants.
Maintenance of mouse and rat colonies as determined by the supervisor. Maintenance of the general lab working conditions and stocks. Perform routine biological, chemical, or histological procedures using laboratory equipment and following standardized procedures to provide data for research or scientific experiments. The candidate will use some theoretical knowledge to assist in data interpretation, data preparation for presentation and experiment trouble-shooting with supervisor Post docs and PI.
- Maintenance of mouse and rat colonies as determined by supervisor including mating, weaning, tail biopsy for genotyping, and genotyping. Training will be provided prior to initiation of such work, and will be monitored by supervisor. Applicant should have a familiarity with excel spreadsheets, which are used in colony tracking.
- Independently and proactively perform general laboratory duties such as preparing various culture media (mammalian and bacterial), chemical solutions, reagents and re-stocking supplies for use by all lab members. Informing the lab manager of any general inventory items which need to be reordered in a timely manner.
- Perform molecular assays for protein and gene expression under minimal supervision and using established protocols. Techniques include but are not limited to: PCR amplification, RT-PCR amplification, luciferase assay, ELISA, immunocytochemistry and immunoblot analyses.
- Preparation of histological slides including: labeling slides, fixation of tissue samples, embedding of samples in paraffin or freezing compounds. Be willing to learn tissue sectioning on a rotary microtome and cryostat to cut samples and prepare slides for staining.
- Propagating important cells and cell lines following standard laboratory formulae and procedures.Perform basic microscopic imaging of prepared slides using a light microscope, and willing to learn confocal and fluorescent imaging techniques.
- Assist Postdoctoral Fellows and lab manager with experiments as needed while under supervision.
Associate’s degree in appropriate discipline plus 2-3 years equivalent combination of education and experience. Bachelor’s degree in biomedical field is preferred.
Applicants should have experience in basic tissue cell culture, molecular biology, and animal handling. Equipment familiarity includes electrophoresis equipment (gel boxes, power supplies), gel documentation imaging, PCR machine, light microscopes, centrifuges (mini-, regular and ultra-) and freezers (-20, -80, LN2). Use of other equipment may also be required, in which case special training will be provided. Candidates should have working familiarity of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Laboratory Technician III (S)
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 205675
Full/Part Time: Full-Time