University of Rochester Laboratory Technician III (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 077 Neuroscience
8 AM-4:30 PM; OCC WKENDS
Full-time laboratory technician position available to assist with day-to-day operation of a neurophysiological laboratory dedicated to recording brain activity during visual memory tasks. Duties include behavioral training of animals, data collection and analysis under computer control, record keeping and file maintenance, some animal care, assisting in surgery, ordering supplies and overall maintenance of the laboratory. Ability to work with animals, good attention to detail, computer and organizational skills are critical. Experience with non-human primates is a plus.
- Oversees day-to-day operation of the lab; trains and supervises undergraduate assistants; oversees animal-related activities of graduate students and postdocs; assists in maintaining, implementing and creating lab protocols; responsibility for smooth operation of the lab
- Provides daily care of laboratory monkeys.
- Behavioral training of monkeys.
- Some data analysis and keeping accurate data records.
- Orders recording electrodes and other supplies and equipment and keeps inventory up to date.
- Maintains the order and cleanliness of the lab.
- Troubleshoots occasional equipment or software failures and makes repairs or requests technical help if needed.
- Prepares surgical packs and assists in surgical procedures and MRI scans.
- Associate's degree in appropriate discipline plus 2-3 years specialized experience in related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.Prefer B.A./B.S. in Neuroscience, Biology, BME, Biopsychology or related fields.
- Ability to work with animals; prior experience working with monkeys preferred.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to maintain well organized laboratory.
- Competence with computer software and hardware.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Prior experience supervising and training laboratory personnel to care for monkeys and run experiments preferred.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Laboratory Technician III (S)
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 208536
Full/Part Time: Full-Time