University of Rochester Laboratory Technician III (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 077 Microbiology & Immunology M&D;
8:30 AM-5 PM; OCC WKENDS/HOL
The Department of Microbiology and Immunology is seeking a Full-Time Laboratory Technician III to work in a basic science laboratory, to perform lab management duties and to conduct research relating to influenza virus research.
This person will perform conduct experiments, working with overall direction from Drs. Dewhurst (or TBN Tech Associate I). Over time, the individual will develop more independence in planning and conducting experiments, and will be expected to plan and perform many experiments on an independent basis. The position will require some background in cell and molecular biology, as well as prior lab experience; experience in virology would be an important plus.
- Performs cell biology experiments using primary human cells, cultured mammalian cell lines, and infectious influenza virus. Cell biology experiments may include assays of influenza virus infection in cultured mammalian and avian cells, with analysis methods to include flow cytometry, fluorescence microscopy, luciferase assays, immunoblot assays, virus plaque assays and titrations, and generation of recombinant influenza viruses. Training will be provided in the required techniques, as needed.
- Performs molecular biology experiments (DNA cloning and mutagenesis). Training will be provided in the required techniques, as needed.
- Animal studies, using mice, to examine the virulence of influenza strains in vivo, and also to test the potential of attenuated virus strains to serve as potential vaccines, and to protect against infectious virus challenge. Training will be provided, as needed.
- Uses some theoretical knowledge to interpret data and to troubleshoot experiments. Independence in problem-solving is highly encouraged.
- Participates in scientific seminars. Prepares and presents data at laboratory meetings and at local/national research gatherings.
- Assists with lab maintenance, inventories.
- Associate's degree in appropriate discipline plus 2-3 years specialized experience in related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous instruction in virology is desirable.Prior independent research experience is also highly desirable.
- Ability to follow instructions exactly and record information accurately.
- Ability to listen to, convey, or exchange information with other laboratory personnel.
- This position may entail prolonged periods of standing.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Laboratory Technician III (S)
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 207933
Full/Part Time: Full-Time