University of Rochester Laboratory Technician III (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 077 Biomedical Engineering
8 AM-5 PM; SOME WKENDS
The successful candidate will join a multidisciplinary team of engineers, chemists, and biologists. This person will apply biology techniques to carry out research under the guidance of Professor Benoit (Pl) and collaborators. These studies will use tissue-isolated primary vertebrate cell cultures and hydrogel-microbubble culture to develop tissue mimetics. Skills employed include tissue culture, molecular biology (including qPCR), protein and biochemical assays (including western blot, ELISAs, immunohistochemical staining), and microscopy (including brightfield, conventional fluorescence, and confocal imaging). The successful candidate with work with Professor Benoit, collaborative Pis, and other lab members to design studies, plan experiments, and obtain and analyze results from these experiments. This candidate will also help with lab maintenance (including lab orders and chemical inventory), mouse breeding, animal dissections, and personnel training in basic laboratory techniques. Excellent organization and communication skills and careful attention to detail are important and will be expected in lab notebooks, presentations, and written reports. This person will also participate in regular meetings with the Pis and other tab members.
- Design and perform experiments that involve hydrogel synthesis, peptide synthesis, vertebrate animal dissections, vertebrate tissue and cell isolations and cultures, flow cytometry cell sorting, paraffin/cryo-embedding of vertebrate tissues, immunohistochemical staining, qPCR, western blot, ELISAs, DNA assays, tissue and cell imaging, cataloging of specimens.
- Analyze data; data recording; produce figures for publications
- Help with lab ordering, regulatory requirements, equipment maintenance and repair
- Train new lab personnel and students
- Read and understand literature relevant to research projects
Associate's degree in appropriate discipline plus 2-3 years specialized experience in related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with skills listed above is a plus.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Laboratory Technician III (S)
Location: Sch Engineering & App Sci
Job ID: 209533
Full/Part Time: Full-Time