University of Rochester Lab Clinical Supt Tech III in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 092 Surgical Pathology SMH
With general direction and supervision receives, resolves discrepancies, creates visit account and accessions outside slide consultation and reference cases in the laboratory information system. Creates the pathology report by entering the gross description from a canned comment. Triages the case to the appropriate pathologist. Maintains a filing system and computer receive/return log for outside material. After review by the pathologist, returns slides/blocks by SMH courier, regular mail or FedEx. Sends and receives pathology cases to/from Highland Hospital and assigns to subspecialist pathologist. Manages requests from patients and outside hospitals to send our slides and reports out for second opinion or treatment. Maintains a relationship with clinical offices and providers to ensure accurate and timely reporting of diagnostic information on referred material. Serves as back up to other support staff and as general support for the pathologists and laboratory supervisors and staff.
- Receives, resolves discrepancies, creates the visit account and accessions outside slide consultation and reference cases from outside hospitals and business affiliates, in the laboratory information system. Creates the pathology report by entering the material description from a canned comment. Uses knowledge of specimen sources to assign the case to the appropriate subspecialist. Reviews and triages cases to other Anatomic Pathology Units when appropriate.
- Maintains a filing system and computer receive/return log for all outside slides and tissue blocks including cases from Highland Hospital Pathology. After review by the pathologist, returns slides/blocks by SMH courier, regular mail or FedEx.
- Manages requests from patients and outside hospitals to send our slides and reports out for second opinion or treatment. Maintains a log and ensures return of our material.
- Tactfully manages calls from patients and providers needing information regarding pathology diagnosis or the status of the specimen processing. Uses the LIS and E-Record to look up results and fax reports to callers. Refers questions regarding reports to the clinical faculty or laboratories. Covers stat calls for frozen section requests when the accessioning room is short-staffed.
- Runs and collates the daily gross worksheets and resolves any discrepancies regarding patient identification or transcription errors.
- Greets and directs visitors to the unit. Pulls slides and reports for clinicians to review with the pathologist.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate with 2+ years of experience in a hospital or medical office setting as a clerk/secretary. Medical terminology. Microsoft Office Suite. E-Record and E-Parc.
- A combination of formal training and experience equivalent to the above
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Lab Clinical Supt Tech III
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 210308
Full/Part Time: Full-Time