University of Rochester Lab Clinical Supt Tech II in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 090 Microbiology SMH
VARIES; ROT WKENDS/HOL
Under the supervision of the section Supervisor and with specific direction from the Lead Tech, this position bas primary responsibility for the pre-analytical processing of patient specimens that arc delivered to the laboratory 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. Exercises moderate skill, judgment and a knowledge of the terminology and common procedures and practices of Medical Technology. Enters and edits patient demographics in the laboratory and hospital computer systems. Receives, prioritizes, accessions and distributes clinical specimens to appropriate laboratory sections in order to meet turnaround times designated by the department. Processes specimens appropriately in order to maintain specimen integrity. Serves as a resource to physicians, nurses and other laboratory personnel regarding specimen handling and processing.
- Receives specimens from inpatient and outpatient locations via couriers or pneumatic tube station.
- Uses knowledge of test menu to prioritize handling of stat/urgent specimens and those needing special] handling.
- Takes appropriate action to ensure specimen integrity whenever testing may be delayed.
- Tracks and receives batches, verifying receipt of specimens.
- Works with a variety of health care providers to troubleshoot problem specimens and to clarify correct test selection.
- Answers questions from specimen collection locations regarding transport and minimum volumes.
- Informs ordering providers when the ordered test(s) cannot he performed and works to remedy this situation whenever possible.
- Prepares specimens for transport to specialized areas of testing (i.e. specialty labs, reference lab).
- Manages sample archive storage system and specimen disposal as specified by laboratory storage guidelines.
Patient Registration and Specimen Log-in
- Registers patient information into HIS (Hospital Information System).
- Identifies special registration (i.e. client Bill, research).
- Identifies and registers patient billing information.
- Logs-in laboratory procedure codes as ordered from manual requisitions or assures accuracy of electronic orders. Enters all appropriate comments from requisitions/physician orders.
- Follows procedure for documenting discrepancies on patient information, test(s) requested, or specimen information into the LIS.
- Answers telephone calls, providing routine information related to test results, testing/specimen requirements or other technical information (reference ranges, turnaround times and referral laboratory information), as well as general product or service information.
- Takes appropriate action as needed to meet the customer's request, including test request add-on's and proper transfer of calls to other destinations as needed.
- Scans requisitions into the scanning system confirming readability and keywords.
- Participates in Quality Assurance data collection as required.
Lab (Technical) Support
- Assists technologists in the pre-analytical processing of select tests including the centrifugation, separating and storing of samples.
- As applicable, loads continuous blood culture system or pre-analytical automation system for sample processing and preparation.
- Takes temperatures and monitors environment (CO2/humidity) of rooms and equipment.
- Works with technical team and Supervisors to trouble shoot out of range conditions and documents the results as part of the laboratory's quality control guidelines.
Performs other responsibilities and projects as assigned.
Associate's degree or some college level course work in science or a related discipline; or an equivalent combination of education, experience or certification. Customer Service experience preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy/physiology a plus.
Ability to maintain a friendly and courteous professional manner at all times. Ability to interact effectively and professionally with co-workers and customers. Excellent computer and organizational skills. Ability to rotate shifts, weekends, and holidays as assigned.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Lab Clinical Supt Tech II
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 207660
Full/Part Time: Full-Time