University of Rochester Lab Animal Technician Asst in Rochester, New York
Full Time 37.5 hours Grade 075 Vivarium M&D;
7AM-3PM; WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS ON ROTATION
Laboratory Animal Technician Assistant will perform activities associated with the provision of routine husbandry services done in one or more animal housing rooms containing various species of laboratory animals. He/she will provide general and technical assistance to supervisors, investigators, animal health and veterinary staff. Provides support to Vivarium common service areas or functions such as cage wash room, waste/trash removal and sterile supply. Some assignments though technically oriented may require physical exertion.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilizing knowledge and awareness of standards, requirements, and federal and state regulations, provides all needed husbandry services for one or more species of laboratory animal. Assures that all standards and conditions pertinent to the proper care and maintenance of assigned species are met.
- Learns various assignments until competent to provide for the care of all species housed in the Vivarium.
- Utilizing knowledge of normal behavior and physical condition to evaluate overall well-being of animals by observing them daily for sign of ill health or other abnormalities.
- Able to handle and restrain animals for the purpose of assisting animal health and research staff in performance of experimental and veterinary clinical procedures without endangering themselves, other staff or the animals.
- Able to determine the sex of all common laboratory animals: (adults, juveniles, and neonates).
- Inspects and evaluates caging, physical plant and other equipment for conditions affecting laboratory animal well-being and staff safety then reporting any problems. Follows through to assure that reported problems have been resolved.
- Reads, understands and follows instructions contained in posted Standard Operating Procedures. Executes special instructions involving deviations from Standard Operating Procedures as they relate to animal health, experimental design, or veterinary care.
- Maintains records such as animal and supply inventories, animal room logs, and special charges. May prepare special reports as requested.
- Knowledgeable of factors and considerations involved in the transmission of animal diseases and the role of the animal care technician, animal health technician and research staff in preventing such disease transmission.
- Knows and abides by the requirements pertaining to personal hygiene and institutional policies concerning use of hazardous substances and the safe use of equipment.
- Knows the importance of individual animal and project identification and practices established methods to maintain accurate records.
- Understands the critical role of the animal care technician assistant as an integral member of the research team and the importance of his or her individual responsibility for the integrity of various aspects of research projects. Understands the detrimental consequences to research projects and animals that his or her failure to fulfill such responsibilities can entail.
High School Diploma or Graduate Equivalency Diploma. Required courses in Chemistry and Biology preferred. General experience with animals in a work environment or a research environment is preferred. Certification as an Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician by the American Association of Laboratory Animal Science is highly desirable.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Lab Animal Technician Asst
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 208933
Full/Part Time: Full-Time