University of Rochester Enterprise Computing Operations Specialist Jr in Rochester, New York
Time as Reported Grade 077 University IT / ECC
To conduct detailed and highly specialized analysis of systems, equipment, environment, of the software applications, property and environment security systems, for the purpose of proactively assessing operational and environmental risk to the computing operations of the University, to engage in risk mitigation processes and documentation, and to intervene via systems, operations, hardware, environment or in collaboration with higher level enterprise professionals, as appropriate when necessary.
Analyst will monitor, maintain and execute tasks to established policies and procedures. Ensuring that monitoring tool alerts are responded to in a timely manner, proper support personnel are contacted and appropriate escalations are done as needed. Analyst is also responsible for providing technical support through University input channels; the University IT general phone number, Chat, Self Service, email messages sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and service request assignments created in the Service Request System (HEAT). Responsibilities include support as defined in the Help Desk Knowledge database, for portable computer hardware, operating systems, application software, email, networking, backup utilities, antivirus, hard drive encryption.
Analyst will play a contributing role during system outage events. S/he will be required to act on the requirements and direction given by the Analyst Lead or Analyst Sr and provide communications and coordination during such events. Analyst Jr will always work under the supervision of the Analyst Lead or Analyst Sr on their team. The Analyst Position requires excellent communication, customer service and phone skills. S/he must be able to understand and follow all policies and procedures of Enterprise Computing Operations as well as University Security/Safety Procedures. S/he must have basic understanding of DC Operations SharePoint sites, where to find documentation, on call lists, and frequently used documents.
This position is responsible for the operation and maintenance of high end Data Center equipment such as but not limited to: IBM Mainframe, rack mounted servers, Storage Area Networks (SAN), tape drives and printers. Knowledge of IBM z/OS, JES2, TSO, JOBTRAC, Windows, Unix/LINUX, Microsoft Office and Apple Products.
The judgment required for this position includes the ability to analyze, monitor and report on systems alarms, problems and trends of incoming and on-going situations (Situation levels are defined by Enterprise Computing and are documented for efficient and prompt evaluation and response to system situations) and to escalate remedy interventions in accordance with Enterprise Computing processes and documentation requirements.
- Customer support (answering, resolving or escalating calls)
- Assist with rebooting and troubleshooting of URMC and University servers and systems, installations and inspections of servers as required, and other duties as assigned.
- Proactive monitoring, maintaining and executing Data Center systems tasks, ensuring that monitoring tool alerts are responded to in a timely manner, proper support personnel is contacted, and appropriate escalations are done as needed.
- Monitor Mainframe batch processing, able to recognize failures, follow ABEND procedures
- Monitor Building Management System, notifyFacilities Personnel on duty of any alarms
- Monitor COMMVAULT, follow operations policy for notifying support personnel of problems
- Monitor Uptime 5, follow operations procedures for notifying support personnel of alarms
- Monitor Solar Winds, follow operations procedure for notifying support personnel of alarms
- Monitor AUTOSYS, follow operations procedure for notifying support personnel of alarms
- Monitor MoveIT, follow operations procedure for job failures on MoveIT
- Monitor IBM Director, follow operations procedure for notifying support personnel of alarms
- Under Supervision of Analyst/Analyst Sr, fill out team turnover providing detailed information (written & verbal) to the following team.
- Under Supervision of Analyst/Analyst Sr, complete Call Logging Tickets (HEAT) with detailed information of any monitoring alarms, job failures, equipment problems, and ACTION calls.
- Under Supervision of Analyst/Analyst Sr, complete AMBER light check of all servers in the Data Center, updating spreadsheet, and sending appropriate notifications to server owners.
- Monitor Internal, External cameras to maintain security of the Facility.Understand and enforce Data Center Access Policies.
- Assist with performing analysis and reasoning with attention to detail.
- Assist with troubleshoot and resolve issues for application software, email, networking, backup utilities, antivirus, hard disk encryption, voice communication, paging and voice mail.
- Assist with user account creation/deletion on cellular, paging equipment, variety of software, email and network related systems with guidance.
- Assist with software installation, upgrades and maintenance related tasks, as needed.
- Assist with password resets on a variety of complex software, hardware and network related systems.
- Assists users with remote connectivity issues.
- Provide assistance to troubleshoot and resolve routine and non-routine issues for telephone, cellular, paging and voice mail.
- Responsible for entering, tracking, and closing Service Requests (HEAT).
- Prioritize and escalate Service Requests (HEAT) as needed.
- On-call, writing emergency communications, participating in after-hours maintenance and other duties as assigned.
High School education and 2 years of related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Bachelor’s (or Associates) degree in related discipline such as Computer Science, Business, Mathematics, Statistics, Science or Engineering, and 3-4 years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Since Enterprise Computing Operations is a 24x7x365 operation, it is a requirement of this position that the Analyst Jr adheres to attendance requirements that ensure coverage, including on call rotations, and must be available to work at any time as business needs require.
Required Business Skills:
- Analytical skills for problem solving and troubleshooting.
- Ensures customer satisfaction and appropriate follow-through.
- Proactively seeks out opportunities to improve all processes.
- Engages in continuous learning to maintain job growth, and for potential career opportunities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ensures all communications are clear, concise and understood by others.
- Creates an environment that is open to different perspectives.
- Fosters a team working environment.
- Exhibits flexibility to change.
- Understands and models the organizational mission, vision and values.
Required Technical Skills:
- Basic understanding of University IT supported computing platforms.
- Networking configuration troubleshooting skills.
- Troubleshooting computer hardware and software issues.
- 6 months -1 year experience with but not limited to:
- IBM Mainframe, rack mounted servers
- Storage Area Networks (SAN) T
- Tape drives, printers and scanners.
- Knowledge of IBM z/OS, JES2, TSO, JOBTRAC.
- Email services including MS Exchange, Eudora, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, Entourage, UNIX web mail and Zimbra
- Operating systems (Windows XP, Windows 7, Apple, Unix/LINUX)
- Microsoft Products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Project, Visio)
- Hard drive encryption software (Point sec)
- Service Request System (Heat)
- Service Desk Knowledge Database
- Net ID and UR ID Management tool
- Active Directory management tool
- File/Print tool
- ACD telephone system
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Enterprise Computing Operations Specialist Jr
Location: Central Administration
Job ID: 212313
Full/Part Time: TAR